1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 A Whirring 748s Engine

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Geoffhogarth, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Thanks for the explanation Nelly.

2. Just stripped some 998 cases

7207X2ETN
    7307X2ETN

• Like Like x 1
  3. I just read on an old forum post at http://www.ducati851and888.com that the ETN is a lower grade than the TB, which is a precision grade bearing used on the right side due to the extra loads created. As mentioned earlier, mine had both installed.

4. Actually, not cheaper than Ducati, just got a OEM quote for £170 delivered, 123bearings worked out at £176 delivered.

#104 Geoffhogarth, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    • Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  5. Ah well, because of the doubts raised through this thread, and other threads and forums, then on the advise of Ducati John to go with OEM bearings, they are on the way back to 123 bearings to-day, no re-stocking charges either :)
    And, because I had to chase the Ducati salesman, as he forgot to call me back this afternoon, he offered them for £150 delivered, my luck must be changing!
    I'm in no hurry to throw it back together this time, I just need it to be correctly done.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Well, to-day my new mains arrived from Ducati Italy, same ID as the ones from 123bearings.co.uk 7207X2ETN and 7307X2ETN - RHP and made in England:joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Which were cheaper?

8. Yes but I got a deal as the salesman kept me hanging around.

#108 Geoffhogarth, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  9. I decided to pull off the conrods, even though there was minimum movement, just as well, pin was not really damaged but needed to be polished. Park engineering at Malton did a good job, and still in spec, so now waiting again for more parts, being a full set of blue BE shells and replacement screws.

Before and after pics.

IMG_1951.JPG

IMG_1977.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  10. Out of interest, what sort of preload are you going to run? Always given mine a bit less than Ducati state, obviously if you go to far the bearings will get a battering when the cases heat up.
    Good call on going with the ducati bearings, I discussed this with a bearing supplier sometime back and he also said that the angle of the races was specific for that application and he wouldn't recommend an equivalent bearing.

11. I was thinking 0,15mm, but still gathering info :)

12. There are 3 o-rings with this number 93827.0114 that fit into recesses in the RH crankcase, but physically there are 2 different sizes!
    They are all green Viton rings, 2 x for the oil pump to crankcase, approx 9mm and 11mm, and 1 x for the clutch cover to crankcase approx 9mm.
    So same p/n for different sizes cannot be correct.
    Anyone have any info on changes with p/n for one of them?

#113 Geoffhogarth, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  13. Looks like a new number for the 11 mm one 88641321A.

#114 Geoffhogarth, Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  14. I meant which ones are cheaper lol
    I presume from the answer that the Ducati ones were cheaper, as suggested by Nelly

15. Yes correct :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Yes, I was wondering how you might resolve that particular dilemma...

#117 Old rider, Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  17. IMG_2040.JPG Checked the end float of my crank, and after a good bit of thought, and googling, decided to go with the 0,15mm preload, this meant buying 2 new shims, 2,15mm Yellow 85211041F from fm_online via EB, saved a few quid on the Ducati price.
    New shims installed to-day for checking prior to doing the BE shells, it feels just as described on the forums, some smooth resistance, and the crank overcomes this when the weight is past the top of the rotation.

IMG_2010.JPG IMG_2008.JPG
    While waiting for the shims, I had opened the oil pump to check the clearances, not a pretty sight, but all in spec according to the workshop manual, deffo been some debris throught there.

IMG_2078.JPG
    Once again, Park Engineering at Malton soon fixed that, just need to polish it some more with grinding paste on glass.

IMG_1810.JPG IMG_1811.JPG IMG_2064.JPG IMG_2068.JPG
    I also pulled the gallery plugs on the crank to make sure no debris inside, was as clean as a pin, flushed out, and followed with compressed air, then reinstalled the plugs with loktight.

Now still waiting for the BE shells....

#118 Geoffhogarth, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  18. This issue now solved by Ducati John sending me a parts list for 2001 model issued 03-01, I had parts lists for 2000 and 2001 (with a different issue date) which caused this confusion.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hi resolution photos uploaded.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information