1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A303 Stonehenge Tunnel Proposals

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Pete1950, Feb 8, 2018.

1. the victorias the bench mark for most people when it comes down to design and getting things done:thinkingface::upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Exactly my thoughts

3. possibly now frozen as of today.

• Like Like x 2
  4. It has never been much of an obstacle for a motorbike. I can think of a lot better uses for that sort of money.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. I use this road 3-4 times a month commuting from Devon to London and back, for around a decade.

I’ve never had a delay longer than an hour, which was due to a crash.
    The only major delays have been the constant roadworks and closing of the road in the evening, which then adds 60-90 minutes to my journey home.

Whoever designs the “Diversion” signs needs to quit and die a painful death. Because they also plan those closures long in advance, they can update Sat Nav servers to then find a solution.

They could just put up a tall fence to stop people slowing down to take photos and ANPR parking cameras to stop people parking on the side, to then cross a main 60mph road, hop a fence for a photo.

I’m a huge fan of history, member of the national trust and saving old buildings but these stones are a useless attraction and are not worth the billions of investment, re-homing of wildlife etc for some stones.

You don’t invest billions unless someone is going to make money from it, so charges will appear on that road, within a 10 year period due to the “cost and maintenance”.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I agree with you 100% on the measures you outline.

I could not disagree with you more on the protection of the monument.

Still it would be boring if we all thought the same way!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. In 1958 the Henge was given a make over which included uprighting fallen stones etc. I love to see it when I pass (abt once a month and rarely get held up for long. This tunnel project was always a job for the boys and little to do with congestion. In fact the M25 is often slower!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. When in the UK I spend my time very near Stonehenge and travel past them a few times a week on the 303. The congestion there is dreadful with regular stationary traffic jams. I am a history buff myself, but am of the opinion that Stonehenge should be nuked.
    Did you know that it costs more to visit the place and walk around for 30 minutes, out of reach of the stones, than it does for a 2 day ticket to the Colosseum and the Forum in Rome, and that will keep you entertained for two days and you can touch things.

9. 1958? That’s ages ago. Was Stone Henge actually built then?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. No hard hats and high vis in them days.:eek:
    Moving-S-22-1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Thanks for the pic. :upyeah: should have put Mick Jagger in charge of ops.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Stonehenge 1890

stone 1890.jpg

Pre restoration

Pre resto.jpg

#53 Jez900ie, Jul 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Did YOU know...for around £100 you, your partner and up to 6 kids can walk around Stonehenge and hundreds of other interesting historical English places FOR THE WHOLE YEAR....... Just join 'English Heritage' ;) https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/

• Like Like x 1
  14. Probably not far off the mark. I was once working on a riverside compressor station in southern Nigeria. There was a community dispute and we were all chased away sharpish. On the module was a massive pedestal crane powered by a Caterpillar 3412 diesel engine (over 2.5 ton). The engine sat behind the crane op about 100ft up. The locals managed to strip it out, lower it to a (big) canoe, and spirit it away to the local markets. They managed this feat with nothing more than bamboo and rope.

I didn't witness this particular operation but I have watched them with fascination before. All about balance and C of G. It's very slow and you'd be well advised to stand the fuck clear, but they manage.

• Like Like x 4
  15. What, pay to visit placed that the nation owns. Feck that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. You mean like La Tour D' Eiffel for example? LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Fitzcarraldo comes to mind, several people died during the making of the film..

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  18. Filming was hit by a plane crash that left four people dead and one paralysed.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information