1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Action Cameras

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by hottubbiker, Mar 13, 2017.

1. I originally had a Ghost HD camera, which I never got on with. So it'll go on fleabay soon.
    Anyone got any experience of using the Garmin Ultra 30 or GoPro Hero 5 or the Olfi one five as alternatives?
    I'm liking the Garmin because of the BT link with my Zumo 590 for basic controls, but battery life seems to be an issue. Olfi seems amazing value and GoPro may be too complicated with functions I'll never use. Grateful for any thoughts?

2. I've got (and love) the Olfi. Other users on the forum who have them and like them. Definitely worth the money in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Loads of issues with the Garmin's with regards to memory card compatibility. I've been helping a colleague with issues with one which has been replaced twice, and as a result of this first-hand experience I would avoid like the plague. Lots of complaints on the Garmin forums. My colleagues issues were fixed after his 3rd replacement.

The Drift cameras make much better helmet cams than anything else, but if you don't want it as a pure helmet cam then I'd look at the GoPro Hero 5. I'm about to try one myself as I have a GoPro Hero 3 Black which I use for FPV and aerial video in a gimbal on multirotor, and a GoPro Hero 4 Black which I use for everything else. I've got 2 Drift cameras, a Stealth 2 which I use for day-to-day helmet cam use for insurance purposes and a Ghost S which I use for creating VLOGs because it has an external microphone socket so you can route a mic inside your lid.

4. Where are you guys mounting them and how are you powering them? Continuous loop recording? 3 min segs or full ride?

5. Mounted and set to record on power on, in 10 min loops. I've got mine in the waterproof case, but drilled and adapted to work with a magnetic charger. That way it remains rain proof.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

As far as mount goes, this is my most used. It's designed for caps but works perfectly on fairings, screens, bark busters etc... [​IMG]

6. I have tried various different things for both commuting and track and have narrowed it down to some pretty decent choices.

So commuting, you really want the camera on your helmet so whatever you are looking at gets recording whether for accident evidence or Vlogging or whatever. This kind of rules out the square cameras like GoPro 3/4/5 and alike - not saying it does not work, of course it does but its trickier to align correctly and IMO looks pretty nasty. For this purpose barrel cameras are better as they fit better, are generally waterproof without a case and can easily align. I always liked the Contour range as the laser is really useful to align but the support for these items is limited due to company issues. Drift are fantastic in this case and both the Stealth and Ghost do the job; they have also released a nice 4k model, which brings me onto quality. ALL cameras apart from really old or duff stuff will film in 1080p and 30-60FPS which tbh is all you need for these purposes.

Now onto track and this is where the bigger guns like the GoPro's stand out as their quality starts to come through plus you are mounting on a bike so many more options. On these cameras you get much higher resolutions and can play with slo-motions etc but do remember that if you are posting on you tube or don't have a 4k TV, the higher functionality is only useful on a powerful Mac or PC. I personally use the Garmin Ultra 30 as it has overlays that I like for track like speed, angle, heart rate (its interesting to see how hard you are working out there) etc so for me it hands down beats the GoPro range for this alone. But all cameras at that price range and level are pretty good its down to what you want and need it for.

Btw a real hero of a camera (excuse the pun) is the GoPro Hero Session 5. It does everything its bigger brother does but no screen to view at the time. I used it in Almeria in all manner of places like behind my foot to see quick shift / down blip changes, behind me etc. It was great. Will try and post those vids!

Do you research online and pick whats right for you.

7. Never had an issue with my virb, the original version of the virb was useless, constant freezing, new version, no issues what so ever and it has GPS built in so you can follow your journey on the map. Served me well for a while now, maybe you shouldnt close your mind unless you have used a specific camera.

8. The Olfi is great value, especially the latest version with a much bigger control screen.

9. I had the original version and they upgraded me to the newer one for free! Just cost me the postage to return my original.

10. Wow, how did that happen??

11. I heard a rumour so messaged them and asked if there was an upgrade package. They just said, post it back and we'll send you the new one.

I don't think it will happen in the future, just for the people left with the original 'square' versions from when they first started out. Those early models are now discontinued with no support, probably why they chose to upgrade those users rather than still have to release firmware and accessories

12. Might be worth a try with my original then?
    Got it in June

13. Do it, the new one is much better. Contact Sam at Hedcamz and he'll swap it for you. I think they're the distributor.

14. Yes, I've been in touch with Sam in the past.
    I was pointing out how advantageous it would be to be able to set the camera up via the smart phone app as the original is rather clunky to set up. For an old git like me it is, anyway.
    The new version addresses all those problems.
    I'll fire off an email.

15. Remind him we're still waiting on the aux mic.

16. Good old GoPro hero3 for me got it stuck on my helmet great quality might not look that slick by some of the new boys on the block standards, but will take 64gig sd card no probes and has all the functions you'll ever need. New ones will be better but at a price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Sent an email, so fingers crossed.
    How long ago did you get yours replaced? Can't help wondering if I've missed the boat.
    Sorry didn't see the post about the auxiliary microphone before sending. What's the story there?

18. January I did mine.

They've had an aux mic in the pipeline for a while. Still no sign of it so every now and then I give them a little prod.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thanks for the advice peeps. Decided on the VIRB Ultra 30. The missus is into her gliding so it'll be used for that as well as on the bike. The GMetrix data overlay swung it for me.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information