1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advanced Rider Course

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by yellowducmaniac, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Your mate sounds like a complete idiot, why pay for and put in the training, to then ignore what you have learned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. apologies mis understood. But I do believe habits should be cemented before releasing that concentration time to observe others :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. I’m pretty sure clutch wheelies should be introduced into the advanced test.

A massive part of me wants to go out with my local IAM group and when on a dual carriage way, wheelie past all of them on camera….

I can imagine the disgust would be at sexual explosion level….

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I don't think you should use the terms "sexual explosion" and "advanced riding" together. It's not that sort of forum :laughing:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I shouldn’t laugh really :innocent:

6. IAM v RoSPA, IMO is largely irrelevant, it comes down to the local group, how well they are run and how well they conduct their training. I’ve done both, IAM was ruined for me and a friend by the muppets we were given as tutors, my friend gave up, I persevered and passed. When I first decided to become a blood biker the then group standards officer who conducted my test ride asked me what I thought about the local IAM group and as a result when I asked about continuous development suggested I contact my local RoSPA group. Our local RoSPA group has been a fantastic experience for both me and my wife, we have traveled extensively with them and consider a number of other members as great friends.

I’ve witnessed at first hand poor riding by so called advanced riders from both organisations, one bad one by a RoSPA tutor who at least realised his mistake and took himself off to have a word with himself, the other was a holder of an IAM first who I wouldn’t have given a bronze to, no planning, using the bank as part of the road, struggling to manoeuvre his machine in the car park and other slow riding.

The now defunct local IAM group tutors were entirely focused on progress, RoSPA was primarily safety. SSV, safety stability, view, always safety first. I had to be persuaded to take my RoSPA test as I was enjoying the sessions so much I didn’t want them to stop. Later I was encouraged to become a tutor myself, which I now do and enjoy helping others. I’ve been approached many times to become a senior, but don’t have the time at present for the training.

I didn’t undertake advanced training to become a blood biker, but many do and it’s very rewarding. Blood bike groups have different policies and although many are members of NABB, long may the individual groups remain so. I personally carry out all my shifts using my bike and fuel, at SERV Wessex about 40% of tasks are on marked bikes.

If anyone has any questions about blood biking I’m happy to help if I can.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Didn’t realise you were on here Steve or I’d have tagged you when the blood bikes stuff came up

8. I’ve just ordered a V4S from Snells, I never left, but probably haven’t frequented the forum for sometime.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Still on sports bikes too then upload_2021-11-7_12-11-36.png

10. No sports bikes for a while, my wrists couldn’t cope. Currently have an RT,Himalayan and a 1978 RD250D

11. Multi v4s then?

12. Yep, Travel & Radar with a few extras, it’s expected in March, not sure whether to sell the RT.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Just sent off my application to LEBBS ( Lincolnshire emergency blood bike service) to become an operational rider.

I'll let you know how i get on.:upyeah:

• Like Like x 3
  14. Fingers crossed. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Had my induction yesterday, very informative and friendly bunch of people, DBS check now being processed and if everything goes to plan i should be operational in a few weeks time...looking forward to it all.:upyeah:

• Like Like x 4
  16. Brilliant :upyeah: Andy

• Like Like x 1
  17. After a long wait i'm finally on the rota for weekend duty at the end of June, looking forward to it but a bit nervous too.:D

• Like Like x 5
  18. Nothing to be nervous about, you have nothing to prove. Just follow the routine and ride the bike :upyeah: Andy

• Like Like x 2
  19. I mentioned to a friend of mine that I was doing my advanced test in a couple of weeks, I loved his response:

Advanced test? Powering through a ring of fire? Two girls in bikinis balanced on the handle bars?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. The standard of tuition may vary between groups, the acid test is when the examiner takes you out on test.
    We are currently training all of our new observers to national standard, so the examination will be with an IAM approved observer examiner. Not a local observer assessed by a local group examiner.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information