1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adventure Suit Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by JAT, Sep 14, 2019.

1. You can stop pretending to be a barrister/barrista now we all know you are a genuine movie star !

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. I always nod, flash the lights, wave, shake a leg at any passing biker, even those on ‘adventure bikes’ and we get a lot of them around here in the summer, from all over Europe. It’s always, always, the BMW riders, with the very rare exception, who ignore you. Stuck up twats. Not you mind you JAT :D

Other bikers seem to cock a leg and wave that these days. Offside leg of course. Maybe that’s the only way they can maintain control of their ‘adventure bike’ which most are on these days.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Using the leg or foot to wave is a sign someone has done plenty of european journeys. I neck-stretch/side-nod & give a foot-wave just to keep my limbs from aching now-a-days. But the tosser crowd (ukgser.com) certainly do selectively share the good-vibes.

• Useful Useful x 2
  4. Thank you Paul.

• Love You Love You x 1
  5. They certainly are a strange lot on ukgser.com, hence why I’m still here annoying everyone...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Worst is going to a bike meet, you end up looking like a bikee mr bobble head

7. Aaaand back to adventure suit recommendations.

I’m thinking of getting, let’s say, a touring outfit.

I don’t commute, I don’t have to any more. I don’t ride in winter, same again, I don’t have to. If it’s freezing or pissing it down....I don’t go on a bike, I use a metal overcoat. Common sense and experience, not rocket science.

My brief is touring, spring/summer /autumn. When on tour, if it’s an all day downpour I go for a long lunch.
    It’s no fun touring in the rain but sometimes you get caught. On the last tour the temperatures ranged from 1C to 40C.

I’m therefore thinking of a layered system. Over suit for the rain, which I already have. A jacket with plenty of vents and then layer up or down according to the temperature.

Any thoughts, suggestions or experience?

8. Klim. Not just their ‘do it all’ suits but they do some good stuff.
    Adventure Bike Shop in Suffolk hold a decent range of their gear.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. There’s so much choice out there Sam, I went round in circles for a good while.
    Ultimately it comes down to budget I found.
    I wanted a laminated suit and eventually found my Dainese D Cyclone jacket and trousers on eBay.
    Second hand but as new for £350ish, they would have been nigh on a £1000 new.
    The original owner had upgraded to Rukka, whether that’s relevant I don’t know.I’m going to see how I get on next year as I’m going to Scotland a couple of times.
    They don’t make the D Cyclone anymore and there are new ones still about for a keen price. Mine have performed well up to now and I’ve tested them out in torrential rain.
    Only thing is I find them a bit warm but the lining can be removed. I’m going to invest in merino wool base layers which seems to be the way to go.
    As already stated Motolegends are superb, great selection, finance, price match minus 10% etc. I bought my TCX Goretex boots from them at a superb price. Cheers

10. @Sam1199 +1 for Motolegends. If I were you, I'd take a trip down there one fine day and plan to spend a bit of time there. I visited once and was very impressed with their knowledge and helpfulness and absence of pushy sales stuff plus they guarantee to be the best price and allow you to return the items anytime within 12 months if you're not 100% happy with them.

I'd also go layered - wicking layer, Knox Urban Pro armoured shirt, fleece/thermal liner (where needed), outer abrasion resistant jacket, waterproof shell. If the jacket comes with armour remove it if wearing the Knox. For the wicking layer I use synthetic materials e.g T-shirts, long and short sleeved, reason being these a) compress very very well when packed and b) can be washed in the bathroom sink/shower each night, wrung out, left to dry and will be dry the next morning thus avoiding the need to take multiple sets yet allowing you to wear clean undergarments each day (same logic applies to my undies:)).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Merino wool is really good at keeping you warm and wicking away moisture from perspiration however it is expensive, compared to synthetics and runs the risk of being completely and utterly FUBAR'd unless washed at the correct temperature and either air dried or tumble dryed on the correct setting. A careless wash/dry can see your expensive undergarment reduced to a cleaning rag very quickly. Also, when touring you won't be able to wash it out overnight so it runs the risk of getting a bit smelly:(.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. If your after a specific item from Motolegends, ring first to make sure they’re got it and hold it for you till you get there. Especially if your traveling a distance just to see a suit.

13. Touratech Companero by Stadler.

14. D-Explorer minus thermal layers and with a Rev-It Ducati two-piece waterproof is still where I’m at. Super venty.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information