1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice On Smart Heating Heating Controls?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Ben Mallinson, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Thanks for all the responses and posts, it's made interesting reading to hear other peoples thoughts.

Thanks for your input too @AirCon - Weather compensation has just moved up the priority list a bit since reading your posts. With this being the case, I will look at how weather compensators are integrated in to each of the systems mentioned in my original post...

It sounds like some are happy with the Nest and Hive systems too :upyeah:After my research though we have decided that theses aren't what we're looking for really as by comparison to what else is available, they really aren't very smart... The more intelligent systems are more expensive but having indevidual control over 7 independent 'heating zones' via wireless TRV's in our house is something that would be great for us and keep everyone happy (including me as they'll stop whinging in mine and Mrs M that it's too warm or too cold in said room).

It sounds like nobody has either of the systems above or any experience with the wireless TRV's either which is a shame as I was hoping for some real world feedback on them. Not to worry though as i'm confident we're heading down the right route to achieve what we are setting out to.

2. Yep, it would be more like £1150 down here.
    Fujitsu, Mitsubishi Electric and Toshiba are the most reliable brands.
    Avoid LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Sanyo, Daikin etc.... they may be prettier or more famous, but not a touch on the aforementioned.
    Get a multi-condenser to allow the system to be expanded. It gives greater control and efficiency where more than one is required. Also no planning in most cases.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I keep going back and looking at these systems.
    For us I can’t see how Hive or Nest would save anything or improve the heating, we tend to set a temperature in the morning and leave it there till we go to bed when we turn it down.
    I like the idea of dual zone, not sure what a conversion would cost.
    The Energenie MiiHome looks like a good idea to me. It has radiator valves that are controlled from an app, which to me would mean control over individual rooms.

4. You don't need wireless TRV to achieve room level control.... they do that by themselves..... wireless just allows you to do it from one place.

5. Depends on how the circuits are laid out and how accessible the routes are to re-plumb.
    Ours house basically Z shaped, with a block on one end.... split into 4 zones, but to be honest they are all on.
    As we get older and perhaps more tightfisted (like a Yorkshireman, but without the generosity of the Scots) we'll use the zones more.

6. I thought I explained it clearly, anyway Weather compensation is a misnomer, as it has no idea as to snow, rain, sleet, sun, cloud etc...... just the outside temperature.... hence my use of plain english rather than plumbers jargon.

7. I've a NEST.

I can't say I've used it for the level of functionality you are looking for, but I can operate it remotely, it learns the patterns you tend to be in and out of the house and sets timers to suit. It also self updates wirelessly through my home network and looks nice enough. That's it really.

Oh, it took about an hour to fit the remote unit to control the boiler, 4 wires iirc. The thermostat itself would have taken 5 mins, but I hate visible wires and fished the power cord behind the wall for neatness, a bit of plastering and painting required afterwards.

IMG_5237.JPG
    IMG_5238.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ummmm.... according to IEE regulations all hidden cables must be vertical.....
    I suppose it's only 5.2Vdc..... the guy who bangs the next nail in the wall is going to hate you.

9. Ours is an old house and most of the pipe work is hidden.
    My way of thinking was something like MiiHome wireless TRV system would be cheaper than having dual zone conversion, that could be false economy though.

10. It's a usb. Does that go for all cables. I have speaker cables all over the place. :thinkingface:

11. It's not plumbers jargon. That is what it is called. I refer you to the non domestic compliance guide and all other building regulation compliance documentation. CIBSE Guides and other relevant standards. I can also quote BS6798. I agree you explained it well enough. But it is still called Weather Compensation whether you like it or not. :)

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  12. [​IMG]

What Rob doesn't show you is the opposite wall he tried to mount it on first

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. I wish Noobs. o_O

index.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Agreed which is one of the drivers behind our thinking. A system which easily manages the whole system and is plain and easy to see and use...

The Evohome has a wall mounted touch screen display which allow the system status to be seen at a glance. No more kids fiddling unbeknown to their Mum whilst I'm away and having the painful telephone calls of talking her through setting all the TRV's on the system to achieve status quo again.

Another advantage of these systems (and I am open to being convinced otherwise) is that the wireless TRV's are allow regulation in 0.5deg increments (rather than the standard 3deg per segment of traditional TRV's), provide a thermostat function in each room/zone they are installed which enables just an individual room/zone (thermostatic TRV's within that room/zone) to demand supply from the boiler whilst all other rooms are already comfortable and have no demand. Thus, eliminating household cold spots which are present in 'older properties'... Ours being the kids TV room which has an open fireplace and the small bedroom which we use as a homework & computer room for the kids.

The systems with wireless TRV's also facilitate each zone to be maintained at a lower setpoint throughout the day when they're unoccupied or infrequently used and only warmed the ideal setpoint just prior to normal usage times. For instance, the kids bedrooms on our middle floor can be warmed in time for their usual bed time and the master on the 3rd floor only warmed when approaching our normal time for migrating upstairs...

A manual override can also be applied to each TRV on the system which will warm the space to the manual setpoint entered (23deg for instance) for a 30 or 60 min period for instance (configurable through the controller setup) and following this period, it will return to its default configuration (20deg for instance).

Not the easiest scenarios to describe short hand on a forum but hopefully this will make some sort of sense to what I'm aiming to out out there...

#34 Ben Mallinson, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  15. A bit cheeky I know but I’d be interested to know how you get on with the EvoHome system.
    It looks to me like the sort of thing that would suit us too.
    Will have to start saving

16. No problem letting you know how we get on with whichever system I end up fitting fella, just remind me in a few months via this thread or pm :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  17. So know one knows if hive or nest are subscriptions based then?

18. Jesus...fucking how much....i paid 150 Quid for mine 4 years ago....that was it....granted its not as slic as those ( just an app on your phone ) but it works and has a fair bit of functionality...

19. NEST isn’t :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information