1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice On Smart Heating Heating Controls?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Ben Mallinson, Sep 13, 2018.

1. @ibgarrow

In the end there wasn't too much differential in the price if I remember correctly...

The main reason for us going the ambiSense route in the end was down to being able to integrate Weather Compensation in to the system also which after speaking to both the local supplier and area sales manager for the Honeywell system, we were informed this was not possible with their system.

After reading people's thoughts and advice on this thread (particularly @AirCon's) weather compensation moved up the list of priorities and become a no brainer really given the benefits it provides in much more efficient running of the boiler.

I also seem to have something in the back of my mind about the Honeywell system having a limitation on the amount of TRVs (8 max??) you can have on the system (I may be getting crossed wires with one of the other systems we considered but would be worth checking before you pull the trigger)...

If I remember rightly the controls cost us in the region of £850 all in and I installed and set it all up myself easily enough.

HTH.

2. I'm sure they'd just sit their in awe at how I put up with my wife telling me about clay soil and rotavators this evening :zzz::dizzy:

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. i have the RWE smarthome system,
    for me the ability to have single control over a radiator was important, as i have Oil heating supported with a Wood burner, and the use of the wood burner tends to turn off the central heating, but we still have cold spots in the house.
    what i like about it is the expandability, add door window sensors and smoke detectors and you have the start of a security system as well.

4. Thanks
    I’m on oil with a ten-year-old boiler, so not much benefit of weather-compensation I think. I gather Evohome’s limited to 12 TRV controllers, but I can get by that by controlling some as satellites. Annoyingly, although I could install the TRV controllers, my old, manual valves need to be replaced-all 15 of them!
    I’m vacillating between this full system, and simply zoning the upstairs separately with a couple of programmable room stats.
    Thanks for the info.

5. Oh dear, professor says amazon-echo/siri/digital assistants should inform the police(cops) on you. Still loving that IoT-device??

Want to avoid orwellian outcomes, don't support this technology. Simples

6. My Alexa tells me this is fake news and everything will be fine and I'll be taken care of when the robot reckoning comes. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. My eldest daughter has an Alexa. When last round there I asked Alexa what she thought of Jeff Bezos. "He's kind" was the response. My eldest daughter than asked me "who's Jeff Bezos?". Having answered that for her, I then asked Alexa what she thought of Steve Jobs. The only reply was a regurgitation of a Wikipedia page so I told Alexa to shut up. My daughter then asked "who's Steve Jobs?". Millenials! It almost reduced me to tears. o_O

8. 2 young staff at my company and it is deeply concerning

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. More badnews for anyone using smart-house technology. It seems many people were unable to unlock front-doors yesterday or use internal devices due to the internet been down. What a way to ruin you're own day by using internet dependent services & tools.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Most revert back to other tech when no Internet. For example some locks can still use RFID or low energy Bluetooth to unlock by authorising locally rather than over the Internet

• Love You Love You x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information