1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice: Planning A Trip On Harleys From San Francisco

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Outliar, Dec 14, 2016.

1. A friend is moving out to Palo Alto next year, and so we hatched a plan to rent some Harlys as a group and do a road trip...

I've previously done Highway 1 from San Fran to LA (Big Sur, Monterey, etc). But that was in a car.

Has anyone done this? Where should we go? Any good Harley Hire firms? Watchouts?

We would probably have max 7 days, maybe less -
    since American firms don't give as much holiday as we get in europe, my mate will be shot by 'her indoors' (whoops,
    Is that Arthur Daily reference sexist these days?) if he uses too much holiday up!

2. go right on down, San Diago and on down into the Baha,, almost guaranteed good weather.

• Like Like x 1
  3. How long would you say is needed?

4. it is 500 m from sanfran to the border,, on a harley that is a good 10 hours,, a looong day but hey the sun shines and it is easy,, i used to regularly go from LA down and it was just a few hours, san fran is a lot further ,, but mexico is ( was ) fantastic,,, beaches , mountains , tacos and beer,, luuuve it.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Thanks mate for that...

Will have endless hours of pleasure planning and contemplating this trip...

6. me and my bro hired a hd each in Vegas from the main dealer. Spanking ltd edition night rod special, 30 k bikes for about £80 a day. Great fun draging up and down the strip.
    they don't appreciate filtering over there though. Had a red neck try and put me into a barrier, he was not happy that I snuck to the front and as the lights changed green he turned at me and launched. Beware of red necks in monster trucks..

7. Thanks @chizel - good advice. Yes had forgotten about filtering being a no-no...

I lived in Florida for a year in my teens, so I know all about red necks. I was in Florida again this year, and even saw pick-ups with Roman chariot-style blades sticking out of the wheel hubcaps. I can't believe that's legal, but if one of those decide to push you over it could get messy!

8. Try Eaglerider.com

They hire Harley's and various others.

Enjoy it.

9. Thanks very much. Can't wait!

10. I'll bet

• Like Like x 1
  11. some hire companies don't appreciate their vehicles being taken into Mexico - might be advisable to check if they are ok with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. 19 years ago spent 1 1/2 weeks riding around the states on a Harley

13 states and about 18000 km

great trip

12 of us shipped bikes to the states and back in a container

still have the bike, sitting unloved and unwanted in a shed - its done 250000 kns and is valuless apart from being used as parts and its log book value

planning to use it as a donor bike and build up a fxr out of it

Do Not Sell My Personal Information