1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Please..... Buying / Selling A Bike With A Private Plate

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Dr.D, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Hi All,
    I am buying ( yet another ) bike. The chap selling it has a private registration on it which he wishes to keep, obviously the log book is in his name with the private registration on it.
    What is the easiest way? And quickest way, so I can get my grubby hands on the new bike.
    Should we wait till the log book is back with the original reg, or can he transfer it and I fill in the log book with the... I don't know what to do, hence me asking you guys.
    Thank you for all your advice.

2. Do the transfer online. Log book normally arrives in under a week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hi,
    Do you mean get the seller to transfer his plate online, and wait until the seller get the new log book back then use that to buy the bike and transfer it into my name? Sorry if I sound stupid this is the first time I have done this.

4. The original registration number will no longer be available. To avoid any problems, the current owner should put his personal registration on retention and apply for an new, age related registration for the bike. This is the V5 he should give you on your purchase of the bike. A friend’s son bought and took delivery of a VW Caddy that still had the private plate and has had no end of problems which took months to clear but to be fair were not all the previous owner’s fault. The DVLA are so inefficient as a business that they have become totally inadequate. Andy

#4 Android853sp, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thread moved

6. I just removed a private plate from my 888 online and had the V5 in 3 days:astonished: Couldn't believe how quick it arrived, like others said he really needs the v5 with private plate removed

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Owner does transfer online. The old VRM is then transferred at that time to the vehicle. Log book in old VRM arrives in under a week. Private plate goes onto retention. I committed to buy a car on a Saturday. My part-ex was on a personalised plate. Did the online transfer the same day. Paid my £80. Put the old number plates back on the car. New log book arrived following Friday. Picked new car up on the Saturday. One week and it was done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Great stuff, thanks

• Like Like x 1
  9. Correct, they have mirrored the HMPO as their business model! Stonewall city!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information