1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Please

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by General_Apathy, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Just starting to have a look over my bike (750SS) now its back from its MOT. Haynes manual is on its way so nothing major yet, just cleaning and observation, but I noticed a build of oil on this screw (top middle first image, bottom of second image). I also can see one of the black spacers is missing from the fins on the right. What is the purpose of that screw? I am presuming the oil has collected from the outside not making its way out from inside?

IMG_5426 (002).jpg

IMG_5427 (002).jpg

#1 General_Apathy, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  2. you are correct, it's a blanking screw, sealing an access route to an oil gallery, and you can usually see witnesses of a factory applied sealant. You could either put up with it, if a minute loss of oil or you could try and carefully remove it and re-seal it.
    The black discs are to try and improve sound-proofing.

#2 Chris, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for the quick response Chris. Presume the approach is clean it all up and see if any more appears?

4. At my age I would do exactly that! I only hesitate at insisting removal is the only answer because they can be awkward to remove despite slightly leaking, if you decide to try turning the screw, make sure the blade fits really snugly, preferably with parallel faces.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. :) I am sure there will be plenty of things I find like this. Thanks for the advice. I will keep an eye on it and intervene if it looks to be becoming an issue.

6. It shouldn't leak much as they are a small screw. Easily damaged as stated, be careful if you decide to remove it. Many run their bikes without those rubber pucks, it can be replaced, I have them currently, but ran without for years. Meant to prevent ringing of the fins

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I'm slowly getting to know each inch of the bike as I'm cleaning the crap off. Not only informative but weirdly therapeurtic!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information