1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Android853sp, Mar 16, 2019.

1. I have been talking to a prospective buyer about some of the ‘stuff’ that I’m looking to shift and it became clear that I might be missing a trick. I have a genuine ex British Supersport 748RS (bare) engine with an unknown mileage and I also have enough new components to put together a refresh kit comprising, barrels, pistons, valves, Pankl con rods and big end shells. So the question is, does this sound an attractive package ? It won’t be cheap, Pankl rods cost €1700 each, 8 new valves are just under £1000 and new pistons and h/c barrels are about the same but there is a deal to be had. Andy

2. I thought about where to put it but I really want (need) some advice/help with this one because it is a pretty niche question. Suppose it could have gone in Projects and builds but it isn’t actively being sold .... yet. I’d probably sell the parts easily if priced properly but that leaves me with an engine that could be okay as is or needs the parts. You see my dilemma. Andy

3. And my dilemma in asking you :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. FYI in case you hadn’t already clocked it @AirCon has just bought what was advertised as a 748RS, once he’s worked out what he’s got and what condition it’s really in, he may need/want some/all the bits & pieces.

Apart from that I’d be inclined to keep them together as a job lot.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yes, I did see and made a comment on the eBay listing. It had been listed several times at unrealistic sums of money despite it being an ‘interesting’ bike. I am aware of the 748 Racing and the Supersport race series in Germany during the latter part of the 1990s. I was lucky enough to acquire a magnesium alloy swing arm from that series that uses the existing 748 rear suspension mount unlike the later 996 magnesium alloy swing arm which requires an expensive rocker. Only time will tell just what Aircon has and I look foward with keen interest to him finding out and sharing his discoveries.
    I appreciate your point, so +1 for a job lot. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  6. @AirCon you bought the yellow peril on eBay??

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Put together a list with pics and your expectations. I'll have a look and try not to upset yer...?:blush::eyes:

8. I think you need to see what you actually have before jumping in. If as I suspect you have an early race bike based around an SP/SPS which would be genuine for the date, an update to a 748RS engine might be an interesting project. Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information