1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advise For A Newbie

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by 748ste, Jan 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Hello guys and girls,
    This is the 1st forum I have ever been apart of so thank you all for reading. I have had my bike (748 E) for nearly 5 years now and absolutely love it. The bike was bought off a friend for 2.5k, him and his old man share my love for motorbikes and I know they do things properly. My personal circumstances have changed somewhat in the past 3 years and the bike has been stored. I am toying with the idea of selling it but have no idea what it is actually worth and I don't actually know anybody else who ownes a ducati, hopefully there is sombody here who knows what they are talking about could anybody help me out?
    Ducati 748E,
    red with gun metal grey 3spoke wheels and frame,
    21000miles
    Part service history
    Very tidy but by no means immaculate needs;
    Nose cone and LH fairing as the bike was dropped (you can't tell unless it's pointed out)
    And a good service for comming out of storage belts ect. 20150629_191849-1.jpg 20190224_165729.jpg 20190221_134613.jpg 20150629_191849-1.jpg 20190224_165729.jpg 20190221_134613.jpg 20150629_191849-1.jpg 20190224_165729.jpg 20150629_191849-1.jpg 20190224_165729.jpg 20190221_134613.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. I've no idea what i'm talking about,but why don't you get some photographs posted up for the folks.;).....and welcome aboard.:upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. It will need belts and a good service too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Belts, valve clearance, fluids. £1200. Tyres £300 etc.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Welcome to the Forum:upyeah:

Check on eBay but IMO with that mileage and the cost of recommissioning it and fixing/replacing the broken plastics I reckon you’ll be able to sell it for £3k. More than you paid so you’ll be quids in:).

@Expat Jack has given you a fair indication of price if you get the recommissioning done at a dealers. If you’re able to do it yourself you’ll save a shed load as most of the £1200 quoted will be labour for the valve check (Desmo service). Approx Parts prices:
    Belts - 90
    Oil - 40
    Oil filter - 15
    Brake fluid - 5
    Air filters - 15
    Spark Plugs - 20
    Tyres - 2 to 300 depends how old they are and their condition but probably worth changing them for new ones.
    A few other bits & pieces - 20

The rest is labour charges :(

Fully serviced and ready to go, with 12 months MOT I reckon you could get 4.5 to 5k.

The plastics can be repaired and resprayed at around 150 to 500 but if replaced then budget for 75 to 100 for the nose fairing and 150 to 250 for the side panel for used OEM parts Chinese clones are available cheaper but not always the same fit or quality.

You could pay £5 to subscribe and offer it for sale on here:)

• Like Like x 1
  6. I think you are a bit out on the nose replacement Paul, more like £250 for a good second hand one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Imho a 748e is not worth 4.5-5k . A good one with low milage £3500. You can get a 996 for £5000.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Just find a decent local independant dealer, it'll bring the cost of the work way down (if you cannot do it yourself). Ducati dealers can charge 70/80 quid an hour for labour. A decent smaller independent will be far less than that :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. You're showing as Tidworth in Wilts, I'm not sure who the nearest independent to you is but if you find one,(other members close may know of one) it might be worth popping in with your wish list to at least get a honest idea of what your asking for, what is actually needed and a rough guide on cost

• Like Like x 1
  10. welcome 748ste'

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks very much for all of your replies guys,
    The plan was to strip it down myself to bare bones and completely rebuild it. Having done a lot of mechanic work in the past I think this would be within my skill set. However the fact my circumstances have changed and I'm now looking at selling, its probably only worth doing the service and fairing. If I'm selling it how it is then it would technically be a "project" and in my opinion the bike is way too nice to be sold as a project. The trouble I have is that when you search the listings I can't find a 748 for less than 4k, I understand that it is the base model but still all the other base models are upwards of 4k too.

12. Cookie, where you been :scream:, cheapest 996 on fleabay today is 6490 and that’s a yellow one:eek:. Only 748s should be yellow:astonished:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Yep, that’s why I said c3k as is 4.5k to 5k fully restored/serviced/new belts/Desmo done/new tyres and immaculately clean.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. My sps must be worth a fortune now then! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. There have been two recently fir low 5k.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Welcome Dave.

Just so you know, if and when you do decide to sell it, you’ll have to be a subscriber to sell something on the forum. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Not sure if you are talking to sombody else as I'm ste, don't worry I'm not here to advertise just after some advice that's all :)

18. Thanks again everyone,
    I think the way to go is service it and get it back on the road before even thinking about selling.

2 things in my head are;
    1. Buying new fairings or repairing old fairings. Surely buying new will be different colour to 20 Yr old ones that are on the bike where as if I get them repaired will they do a decent colour match.
    2. How many people think I would be right to put it up for 3.5k once it is fully serviced with mot and new/rapaired plastics?
    Finally does anyone know anywhere in the Wiltshire/Dorset area that could help with repairing the plastics? I hope I'm not bugging anyone too much with all the questions.

19. Yep....I was talking to you Dave :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Everyone’s ‘Dave’ to our Leader, makes life simple. It’s just a forum thing:)

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information