1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Alloy Rear Sub Frame

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by cookster, Jun 27, 2017.

1. hi guys is there such thing alloy single seat sub frame i can get for my 1198? i see there are race versions but cant be used on the road. I never take pillions so thought a nice alloy sub frame would look rather good like the old 996sps ones, but must be a road legal one. Anyone got any ideas ?? cheers

2. Why can't they be used on a road bike?

3. cant bolt the number plate hanger thingy on.

4. Thats what gaffa tape is for

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Does the 1098R not have a fancy light subbie?

6. By using the comparison tool on the desmoduck website here: http://www.desmoduck.com

Comparing the 2011 1198 to the 2009 1098R it suggests that they do use different frames. See below...

upload_2017-6-27_17-31-54.png

upload_2017-6-27_17-29-58.png

upload_2017-6-27_17-34-29.png

upload_2017-6-27_17-37-3.png

And by doing a quick Google on the part number below, it would appear the 1098R is indeed an aluminium rear frame...

upload_2017-6-27_17-39-51.png

Which may well have just answered your question and provided you with the information required @cookster

HTH

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. It does and it is expensive. Andy

8. Its a Ducati. Everything's goddamned expensive. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Haha, I agree with both of you here but it is also out of stock and was only provided for Cookster's information... At least this will enable the search for an available rear frame to commence ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. @cookster I am going through this slightly painful process at present, there are a number of things to consider and I wont bore you, but the biggest consideration is if you are going to use the standard rear plastics, or go for a non pillion Carbon unit. (all about the traction control mount)

Number plates lights etc are not a problem, there is a 1098r unit which is a great option (though expensive), a Pierobon unit that I have which will need modifying, or what does appear a good option in hindsight is a Febur unit at €275 euro

Febur
    http://www.ebay.it/itm/Telaietto-po...321720?hash=item2829e147f8:g:QuEAAOSw3ydVuPw6

#12 Maccaa, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2017
  11. @Maccaa mines a Base 1198 it has no traction control mate.

12. @cookster that should make it a bit easier, I got to a point with my Pierobon, that I was going to have to get spacers made up so, regrettably, I wouldn't/couldn't suggest that unit until I have sorted it. Even my main dealer who is an agent for Pierobon, couldn't guarantee it would fit from the start. This could turn out to be an expensive..ish project for me

I would, consider one of the other two options, Febur or the unit @Ben Mallinson has flagged. Yours could work perfectly without the TC unit clearance issues.

@Bullitt has some great pictures in his 1198Spr thread that could help in regards to fitment

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Many thanks chaps.

14. Morning guys,

Here is my input, long reply...!!

The subframe I got was a used item from a 1098R. As it is a Ducati OEM item, it was literally plug and play other than the TC unit. The OEM seat set-up will fit directly to the "R" subframe, so the seat unit, lower panel (exhaust heat shield), seat pad, tank panels, clips, number plate bracket - everything. Worth noting, the number plate bracket is required for all subframes and it secures the exhaust heat shield to the frame. It's the same part that is used on the 1098RS, 1198RS and Factory Corse bikes..

The following will be of use if you intend to install a TC unit on your bike (Or, someone else reading this in the future).

On the R, as with the S & SP, the TC unit is installed either behind the "bum stop", or below the pillion seat cover/pad, in other words, it does not bolt directly on to the subframe. So if you are swapping the cast iron pillion subframe for a lightweight subframe and reinstalling your oem seat, the TC should just go back where it was before. If you are installing say a racing seat unit, the "bum stop" or pillion slot will not be there. As such, you'll need a bracket. Bike Sport Developments make such a bracket and it works a treat. Take time using a spirit level to get it, erm, level.

http://www.bikesportdevelopments.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CSD1288

Now, back to subframes.

@Maccaa I am very surprised that the Pierobon subframe is not a straight fit. However, I can only assume it is designed to fit to their own frame, which no doubt is slightly different from the Ducati frame. Rational, but surprising non the less.

From what I can see, there are good quality subframes available from Pierobon, Febur and Bursi. All are aluminium and all will work with race only and street bikes. The Pierobon frame includes a TC mount, others don't.

https://shop.pierobonframes.com/en/...1098-1198-848-rear-frame-detail.html?Itemid=0

http://www.febur.it/1680x1050it/ducati 1198.html

http://www.bursievolution.com/ducat...ore-alleggerito-per-ducati-848-1098-1198.html

There are others available on ebay, race fairing companies (CRC Fairings for example). I bought one from ebay and whilst it was good quality on the eye, the fit wasn't. The "R" unit came my way so I did nothing more with the other. The CRC unit will probably only fit their fairings by the looks of it.

@cookster - hopefully that puts a bit more info your way.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. @Bullitt the pierobon subframe fits onto the Ducati main frame perfectly, and would be an easy job if you were also fitting an aftermarket "mono" seat.

The plate you can see welded to the cross tube is actually a mounting point for their TC bracket that you need to buy separately. If you are trying to remount a standard tail unit or 1098r unit this bracket is in the way! ( I have cut it off but still needs more work for clearance)

• Like Like x 1
  16. @Maccaa I get you no, hopefully you get it sorted. Pierobon stuff really is impressive.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information