1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Being Unreasonable ?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Desmoboy, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Don't want to be a dissenting voice, but it seems to me that the pictures of the seat helped get you along to see the bike. At this point though, no deal had been done. You decided to go ahead and parted with a deposit, based on what you saw in the showroom. It was only in hindsight that the seat issue rankled with you - a little bit of buyer's remorse, to be cruel, but fair, that you did not delay the deal until the seat was produced, however, it was not part of the deal, did not form part of the contract. Had you paid a deposit via eBay, it would be a totally different matter as it would be based on what was offered in the photographs

2. My impression is that the OP paid the deposit on the understanding that the seat featured in the pics would be part of the deal, as promised by the dealer. If that's not the case, I'm afraid I'm in agreement.

3. As Desmoboy had said, he'd already paid his deposit based on the online advert and pictures. It was only when collecting that he saw the seat had been changed, commented and was fobbed off under the assumption the seat issue would be resolved down the line.

4. I’m a bit with Borgo on this. Option was there to get deposit back and walk away. Sure, it’s going to stick in yer neck that’s it’s not totally as ‘described’ by the pics, but equallyba reason to get money back and walk away.

5. I suppose it would depend on how much the dealer said at the time. Desmo said that he thought it would be resolved down the line... what exactly did the dealer say?

6. My post #52 states this move loud and clear:upyeah:

7. After a great deal of discussion, it seems that the dealer either sold the seat or it was nicked by a staff member, after using it maliciously or otherwise in the advert. The point which is totally clear is that despite agreeing with Desmoboy to resolve this issue, they have not come close.

Desmoboy coulda woulda shoulda demanded his deposit back and walked.
    Dealer coulda woulda shoulda said it was an error in the ad, sorry, do you still want to proceed.

No one who is a professional & trustworthy Ducati dealer would lie barefaced to a customer. Time to reveal the dealership so that we are all aware that these people need nailing down on all details imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Regardless of who said what when, the fact still remains that they put an advert up that had something in the photos and then removed it and then had a 'no care' attitude.

So it's a dick move either way and these types of dealers should be avoided, so these people should be named and shamed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Your well within your rights the seat was on the bike at the time the deal was done with no indication that it would be removed.tell them either to order you one or give you money off or I would be taking it to trading standards

11. There appears to be a little fog settling over my tale.
    # I did not put a deposit on the bike from the E-bay Ad, the aftermarket seat was/is pictured prominently in said Ad.
    # Based on the Ad, i travelled to dealers and haggled to a figure and paid a deposit, with arrangement to return in 2 weeks to collect.
    # 2 weeks later went to collect the bike, standard seat was on it, questioned it (was lied to). I did not have any evidence to the contrary at this point. Paid in full anyway and rode home.
    # When home i found the old Ad. Confirming existence of aftermarket seat as i believed.
    # Subsequent phone calls did not get me the response i expected.
    # Subsequent visit to dealer did not get me the response i expected.

I will contact the previous owner to canvass his opinion. I must stress there is absolutly no problem from my point of view with anything he did.

I dont need to say any more publicly at the moment.

Regards
    keith

• Like Like x 3
  12. It’s only a seat... move on as you already say the bike is good.
    I’ve wasted more money and time chasing lesser shit than this in life.
    Enjoy your great bike:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. You don’t say if the seat was there when you first viewed it and did the deal:thinkingface: that’s the missing piece of the jigsaw here :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Yep. I for one read your initial post about doing the deposit and then going down two weeks later, and assumed you’d done the deposit via phone or email. In person I would have thought you’d have looked the bike over.

15. IMO the critical point is when you paid the deposit while at the dealer's.

If the seat was not on the bike at this point then you are at the mercy of the good will of the dealer, which seems to be lacking and so I think you will have to suck it up.

If the seat was on the bike when y8ou paid the deposit then you are in the driving seat. If the dealer does not comply with your preferred resolution then you can seek redress either from the credit card company or through small claims court (I can't remember financial limit for small claims but it's more than the cost of a seat). I don't think a franchised dealer would want to risk losing in court.

TB

16. I thank everyone for their comments along the way, they have, mostly, reinforced my view that i was correct to feel uneasy about this transaction.
    It is fair to say that there is room for a degree of confusion or misunderstanding about whether the seat was on the bike or not when i first saw the bike. No doubt we two parties would have a different view.
    On that basis, and, as stated above, this is not worth getting an ulcer over so i intend to leave it. I never intended to pursue it through legal channels. I did think about confronting the dealer principle and/ or naming the dealership on this forum. The potential for slight doubt expressed above means i cannot prove 100% anything so that would be unfair.
    I will not use them again and that is now enough for me. The bike was after all a very good deal.
    Thanks dudes.

• Like Like x 8
  18. Excellent post. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Desmoboy what stands out to me in this is your Honesty
    I doff my cap to you sir

If the dealer is watching this thread I hope they respect you as much

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information