1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon Echo Dot

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by chrisw, Jan 3, 2017.

1. We went with the Nest system and we've got many Nest protects (smoke & carbon dioxide alarms) and I've recently installed the Philips Hue lighting.

It all works really well together, the echo can control the Nest thermostat as well as the lighting. The Nest can also do other things like flash your lights a couple of times and then leave them on for help exiting in the event of smoke alarm.

I went with the Nest because the list of 'Works with Nest' collaborators was big and growing quicker than others on the scene. It now also uses mobile phone location as well as the sensors throughout the house, to know when you're home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. It does have the looks but does it enable control of individual rooms with wifi thermostatic radiator valves? That's what attracts me to Home Genius as half my house is often unused so to have individual programmes for time and temperature is going to make some real savings for me. Long term it can be set up with motion sensors to learn usage patterns.
    If anyone is looking into this: Genius: Remote Heating Control | Heating App

3. There are some 3rd party rad valves that work with Nest now. Mi|Home do a range of products that connect to Nest. The valves know what the Nest thermostat is set to and then work independently to achieve that temperature.

Alternatively, Nests could always be linked to a zoned heating system but that was dependent upon your plumbing.

Your one does look very good, go with it. Just having a system not heat an empty house is brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Thought I’d drag this thread back up.

I have an echo spot, harmony elite hub / remote and hue lights.

I want to add plug sockets.

Problem I have is most of the remote controlled ones are RF which the harmony doesn’t support and I don’t really want to add any more hubs or WiFi devices.

Anyone know of some IR remote controlled plug sockets ?

5. i like the video where the woman asks alexa if its connected to the cia and it doesnt answer then powers off...awesome...

6. I had a good vent on this thread.

• Like Like x 1
  7. No IR ones as it’s too limiting as it requires line of sight.

I’ve got DLink WiFi plugs hooked up to the Christmas trees (three of the bloody things). They can be controlled via the DLink app or voice controlled via Alexa.

I’ve also used WeMo switches but they’re huge!

8. Yes I guess IR wouldn’t be much good with the location of most plug sockets.
    Will probably get WiFi ones, just didn’t want to add to well loaded WiFi.
    Edit
    Do you know if the DLink ones work with the harmony remote ?

#28 Alan williams, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  9. I'll try it on the app now. What are you thinking, having them in an activity or having them on the buttons at the bottom?

On the WiFi front, I've gone full Ubiquiti Unifi and it's amazing. Worth the money for enterprise WiFi that has zero issues under heavy load.

10. I was using a broad link rf / ir device that just learnt from a remote but it was too unreliable so bought the harmony.
    Had a set up that meant we could say good morning or good night to Alexa and it would switch on / off plug sockets lights telly etc.
    So would like to get plug socket control back via Alexa and the harmony remote if I can ( the standard remote for the plug sockets is crap).

11. Looks like the Harmony Hub doesn't see them when I do a WiFi search. I got them working with Alexa in no time though, so you can do the "Goodnight/Good morning" thing. In the Alexa app now, you can also set plugs so that their 'type' is light and therefore work with commands such as "turn off all the lights".

12. Thank you for giving it a try.
    I think that’s going to be my best route. Have been looking to see if any of the WiFi plugs are compatible with the harmony, don’t mind adding 2 or 3 plug sockets but rather not add something like mihome yet.

13. Not many plugs work with harmony. I just use Alexa to control mine and purely use the Harmony for Media control. I find it far easier to control lights, temp and plugs via voice, rather than the harmony.

Here is a list of plugs that do work with Harmony (scroll down)... and i've heard of none of them.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility

14. Thank you, hopefully find something on the list.
    Though I agree voice control for plugs lights etc is enough.

15. Now a few have tried these, can I ask, what have you done with those extra few seconds you have saved?:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Posted on here :)

For me it's a bit of fun, though it's not so much the time saving it's not having 5 remote controls laying about.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. It simplifies things so that my missus can work it and I don't get phone calls asking why things aren't working.

18. I recalled after I turned my laptop off last night. The book (also film) fahrenheit 451 where reading was made illegal & the televisual units program people into routines (which still happens). Now with the 'smart' tv evolution governments can now watch you & listen too you....à la 1984 also!!

So whats next? Having companies stick a chip into your hand or prehap's a barcode on the back of your neck. This IoT aka internet of things is sure a can of worms if your paying attention to the new level of surveillance technology companies are installing inside your home, which you're happily paying for the privilege of that loss of liberty.

• Like Like x 1
  19. i did the automation the other way, i started with a RWE heating system control on the thermostats, and added Smoke alarms and plug sockets to the infrastructure.
    with added Door and window sensors, i have a simple security device as i can use the smoke alarms as sirens when creating a scenario.
    the issue for me was always when to 'Jump in' as tech progresses so quickly you can be left with a legacy system in a short period of time.
    now with an added Echo it acts as an interface between systems, so i can control heating, and also add lighting and it bridges the configuration issues..
    ill he adding movement and Hue lighting next, so i can have light and movement added to the security functions.. so far so good :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. while it might sound a little pathetic, using the RWE system i can also keep an eye on the thermostat temp in each room ( teenage girls etc) so if i see the condition, Window open, heating 25 deg, lights on.... i can shut it all down and also with the online power sockets i can turn off the tv etc... #controlfreak
    im not that bad honest... :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information