1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon Echo Dot

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by chrisw, Jan 3, 2017.

1. I've done this for years, can't say I've ever thought "This is too much like hard work, I just need to tell my lights to turn on" :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. I went with the google assistant (built into a JBL speaker) - I have nest (heating, water, smoke and CO, security cameras), light bulbs and my diary all synced up and you can access most things through 'Google Home'; And then chrome cast to the surround sound systems in various rooms (which allows me to control where i play music in zones), I also have an android TV (Sony) so i can screen share from a tablet to the TV. If Google is 'listening' all of the time i'd like to think i've taught it some new words ;) i only really use the voice control for music at the moment tbh, but the girls use it to check spelling (8 & 6) and ask it questions all the time about 1 thing or another.

3. but so much more satisfying when you turn off the light and the blinds go fully down, the Tv and Sky box are turned off...
    i guess its big boys toys and nothing else, but to my defence, as i work overseas, its nice to be able to look at the camera fitted to my garage, and check the bikes ok as i also get a message when the door of window are opened ...
    i can also see when the wife gets out of bed by monitoring the door sensor fitted to the landing door... but i wouldn't do that.. no no no ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. ...life is just too short for this...

Yours with rgds

Grumpy Old Luddite.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Something I find funny about some tech obsessed, they will get all these gadgets to help them not move from the sofa, whilst wearing a fitbit

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. you can take it a bit far, but as i think its a fun thing to have around the house, and if it helps the wife manage the house/ costs when i'm away then i'm all for it..
    i also like the ability to remove all the abundance of remote controls, and in the as i used to have a Philips Pronto as a media controller, but the Harmony looks like a modern equivalent..

i have an Oil burning Central heating system, so there were real savings to be made with the ability to actively monitor and control temperature via each room rather than a central thermostat. as i also run a large wood burner, this would inadvertently shut down the heating in the house due to the Main thermostat thinking the whole house was at 30 degrees +/-, when in fact the front room was toasty but the rest of the house was +10, so this was a practical solution, to remove this issue..

• Like Like x 1
  7. so true..
    20181129_143710.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Not just me then. It’s telling isn’t it, when you check on the bike more than the wife :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. I like mine and really handy when you go into a room with hands full just to ask alexa to turn lights on. I have one in living room but have another one on the way for the bedroom

10. The start of the end of humankind

11. The echos are currently heavily discounted on Amazon. :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. I had dimmable & remote lights over 15years ago & touch-screen technology that cost the same as a complete PC. Also automated curtains & projector screen (visit forums-bluray & check out home theater galleries). However when things broke, pulling down a 10' diagonal projector screen & closing the curtains sure became sensible & less costly.

From what JH_1986 has said these things can offer safety & link-ability. For disabled people this boon of technology will actually provide them with new ease of control. Even if verbal commands are problematic, the device will learn the persons annunciations potentially. What could be good is medical cabinets could be linked to check someone has taken drugs (my favourite film THX1138).

And I thought about this the other day; why haven't governments realized houses should have a email address. So that monthly or bi-monthly residential logins can take place where councils can inform residents of major projects/road works & potential changes to water/gas disruption. This would validate who lives at properties & such like. Tenants would have to acknowledge their spending on utilities & not do a runner leaving landlords. As I previous was in the shit for big bills!

Having had a cold-shower today, I wonder how many people block me on this site for my obvious objective stances towards things that were written about in sci-fi books yonks ago.

#53 GunZenBomZ, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  13. It amuses me when my stepson tells the stupid machine to turn off the lounge light and turn on the bedroom light when he is going to bed.........the bloody doors to each room are next to each other.

14. He could set up a 'bedtime' command which actions both... Rookie millennial :p

• Like Like x 1
  15. Good fun seeing what I can get it to do.

JH I believe you have the harmony hub too, looked about but can’t find the answer to;
    My TV and Projector both seem to use the same frequency for on/off any idea if there is a way round it ?
    (When I turn the TV off the projector comes on and vice versa. )

16. I do indeed. Are they the same brand? It may be that they have a common frequency but does one remote (not harmony) turn both off/on as if not, they possibly share a common frequency but also have a seperate one the original remotes use. In which case, do some old fashioned 'remote learning' rather than the auto setup

17. Didn’t think of that, thank you.
    Original remotes don’t affect other devices, so I suspect you are correct.
    To save me googling etc, do you know if I can just ‘learn’ the power button on one them ?

It’s ok, found it.
    Edit device - fix command.

#58 Alan williams, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Sister gave me her Echo Plus the other day, she couldn't see much point in it. Going through the gimmicky honeymoon period at the moment. Might well tire of it and can't really see the point in controlling the lighting etc. though, thinking about it, scheduling lighting for security purposes whilst I'm out/away might be useful I suppose.

What I am finding useful is setting timers and selecting music hands free whilst cooking, saves having to wash and dry hands every time.

19. Been playing about with Harmony / Alexa / Apple Home and Yonomi app.

Trying to decide which way is best to link it all.

Harmony app creating routines for Alexa seems hit and miss and keep getting problems with wrong devices turning on or off.

Trying Siri / IOS shortcuts now.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information