1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An Exclusive Ducati E-mtb Ready For Its Debut At Eicma 2018

Discussion in 'Front Page Articles' started by El Toro, Nov 1, 2018.

1. excellent, i'm likening the sound of this. a bike for smokers. cool. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Yep, modern mountain bikes are lightweight but incredibly tough, capable of flying down mountainous trails you wouldn’t fancy walking or climbing up or down. Ride a bike from 10-15 years ago and it’s night and day. They’re now laced with high grade carbon and titanium, plus high performing hydraulics, suspension and even electronics.

Take a sub £1000 bike on some proper trails and it won’t last long. After a day of downhill it always amazes me how these new bikes just keep going, no matter what you throw at them. The speed of modern mountain bikes means that even if you had an engine you would not be going any faster down the mountain!

Anyway, I’ve seen your Ducati collection, you’re a fine one to talk about high prices! :p

#22 Jimmy899, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. As long as it stays off the roads, each to their own :mad:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. So you don't know how much these exotic materials cost then - £4500 of a £5000 bike is not in the build cost or the raw material cost :)

5. I still have one of these - now if you want exciting downhills..... :astonished: 8343220_cff0f3de9a30ad12e8311aa73cc9728c_large.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Downhill...... Nutters :pensive:

7. Not sure what you’re getting at, the same principles applies to most vehicle manufacturers.

I bought my bike from a direct to consumer brand, this avoids wholesalers and distribution, saving me circa 20% compared to the big household brands. Not all of these cycle brands are multimillion dollar companies trying to fleece consumers.

A carbon frame MTB with a good component set costs circa £3k. If you want to go to town and have the very best of everything you can go £10k but the same principle applies to motorcycles - a pair of top of the range Brembo racing calipers costs £3k! It’s all relative.

15E54712-F254-4967-B38F-6E176EBE42BD.jpeg

D2A0700B-5E8B-4BCA-ACC9-FEF3C82EEF83.jpeg

#27 Jimmy899, Nov 2, 2018
  8. Correct - it's not the exotic materials that cost the money is exactly what I am getting at :thinkingface:

9. Yeah but they’re shiny o_O

Titanium and carbon parts are a fair bit more expensive compared to their alloy counterparts.

#29 Jimmy899, Nov 2, 2018
  10. Is that a YT Capra? I've got one of them also. Brilliant bikes for the money and I've used and crashed out plenty of times.

11. Sure is, YT make great bikes, although I’m not fan of pressfit bottom brackets. I’ve got a Jeffsy 29 - slightly less gravity focused but the big wheels are fast!

12. I'll be in the market for an upgrade/ addition to the garage. The Capra is a bit of a mountain goat so its on the list but the Santa Cruz nomad seems to be top of most reviews.. but it's ££££

I need something that'll sit between the Canyon Sender which will fly down and over anything (see below) and my Trek fuel which is hard work in the alps: most things are rideable you just work very hard as it doesn't have much travel and the geometry isn't very slack.

FB_IMG_1541168363842.jpg

13. Branded MTB that is not the MTB builders brand = Naff

For rich poseurs with more money than sense.

having said that, modern MTB's are ace and the electric ones even more so....

14. Electric MTBs are the spawn of the devil!
    If you want to go downhill, you’ve got to earn the descent by pedalling up the ascent.
    That’s all.

15. My best race bike around 3 years ago was knocking on the door of 8k fully built and ready to roll o_O:sob:

16. What size engine? :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Around 400 watts :(:joy:

18. If the MIG-R is Euros 5,250, then with the better spec (Rockshox Kashima) I'm going to guess 6,500? Does look rather coll but I like a bargain; last year's colour

When I replace my Santa Cruz in a few years, it will have to be an MTB e-bike!

19. This is garbage nonsense.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Why?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information