1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 An Honest Review From A Sceptic

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Advikaz, Feb 24, 2018.

1. @doogalman which bit do you disagree with I wonder :thinkingface: as it's all true :innocent::yum it's an opinion!

2. Agree with you on both accounts there Stu.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Someone is a lil upset o_O

4. i think once the speciale is put alongside the base model this argument will be closed,,just maybe:thinkingface: i did say the base model needs some bling i.e termi pipe/paint job

• Like Like x 1
  5. The speciale is the bike I would buy. But not at 35 large.

It looks sexual

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. it reminds me of an old vfr800

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. The paint doesn't enhance a good design, is disguises one that is somewhat off the mark :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Couldn't agree more - some bikes are beautiful - ie 916/mv agusta f4 etc/1098/early 1199

Some bikes are growers or debateable - 999/benelli tornado etc

Some are just ugly - Panigale v4 definitely falls in this - too bulky -however, the engine is the selling point for me - as they say - once the lights are switched off - the only thing that matters is the ride.

9. Chassis is more impressive than the motor. I wouldn’t be buying one personally for the motor/bhp figures, if you do, you may find yourself disappointed in my opinion anyway.

10. The aesthetics are of supreme importance, come quicker = get more sleep :innocent: and no regrets (for you at least) in the morning when the sun comes up :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. @Advikaz from a usability, comfort and looks point of view, how does it compare to the Mutley?

#31 AirCon, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2018
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. If you look at bens 1199 the bike looks balanced from front to back. The v4 looks like at the back, like someone tried to build a rat rod then thought shit, what can I use on the back so grabbed a non descript fugly seat unit shaped like a gixxa copy of some kind then plonked it on the bike whilst drunk and thought it looked cool. The number plate arm/bracket being longer than a horse's cock, emphasises just how bad the seat unit/back looks.

When it comes to new models, ducati are like microsoft, they tend to release to early and the first owners tend to see and get to know technicians by their first names

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Nice write up Adam, but as previously said it has face, front, back and sides only a mother could love (in my opinion, and i have an S1000R!). It reminds me of a cross up between a Hayabusa and a Supersport, and then had acid thrown in it's face.

Ok, i've gone a bit overboard and apologies to anyone who has one, but if that is the flagship Ducati SBK that says a lot about the way the company has gone the last few years/models in my opinion. It just looks cheap, even down to the tone of red (could be these particular pictures though). Very disjointed too, as looks far too long and front heavy (much like the SS).

In other news, i was moving my black 749 today and stopped for a while to marvel at the design of it. Just beautiful from every angle.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Adam,
    Nice write up given your past posts on the v4. As an owner of a Tuono, 1299 and a few more I have a fairly simple question.
    Is the V4 a better bike than the 1299? Everything I have seen says it is. If you had a choice to buy both (cost not a concern) on the same day which one would it be?

15. nothing compares to the mutley.....
    thank Christ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  16. It's parked next to some sheep, and a few look like they're showing an interest in some woolly action!;):p

Good review. I'm still on the fence. That tank makes it look a bit hunchbacked.

17. I was thinking the exact same thing or I'd look stupid to be on my fifth and fourth at the same time!

18. Elise occasionally wanders off into the long grass but he is spot-on in one respect. The V4 should have been a new line rather than a clumsy attempt to cash in on the Panigale name.

The reason for this dishonest marketing approach can be laid squarely at the door of the 999. The Marmite reaction to the 999 will, for many years to come, determine how Ducati approaches departures from their cautious, conservative, same-old, same-old offerings. Incremental change is now the preferred perception, and the game-changing move to a 4-cyl production model is being disguised as a simple evolution of an existing model line. Talk about timid!

For me, the design leap from the 916 shape to the 999 showed us a fearless company with an aesthetic approach to business. The V4 "Panigale" tells a different tale.

I know all the solid business and marketing reasons that can be brought to bear to counter my opinion. They miss the point, though.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. I'd have to consider the new R1M if I were in the position of buying a new track focused superbike such as the V4

In reality the V4S is the comparable model to the 2018 R1M, with the Yamaha now sporting the ohlins trickery, QS / Blipper and carbon lashings it's a relative steal in comparison to the Ducati as it comes in at £19,799

Thats a whole £4096 cheaper than the V4S, and you get a Mugello Yamaha experience thrown in which is easily worth £100's on top

A £4096 difference? Is that really justifiable? Of course to some maybe, but I'd question it

That's not an insignificant sum, and would buy you plenty of extras, track days or even go towards calming the Mrs down when she finds out what you've just purchased.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/supersport/yzf-r1m.aspx

I think I might take one for a spin

Review here - http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-2018-yamaha-r1m-review

#39 damodici, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  20. nice

Do Not Sell My Personal Information