1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Annoying Gear Shift Arm Bolt

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Etherion, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Going to rant here...

received shiny new rearsets and was looking forward to fitting them ahead of tomorrow trackday.
    Everything seemed relatively easy to fit. Unbolt everything, then fit it all back and adjust.

But no.. with the v4, it can't be that simple...

Okay, so i need to move the gear shift arm to align to 90degrees to the shift rod, but then you see the bolt securing the gear shift arm. Its placed in the direction where you can't access with a traditional ratchet nor is it the usual hex head so that you can use a spanner to undo. The only way you can access is using a very small allen key and this is limited to 75degrees every turn if your lucky to hook it up. Took me over an hour to take off this one bolt... lying on the floor, body contorted, cross eyed and cursing all the way through. Tried pushing the gear rod to get more access, tried taking off the front sprocket carrier....no avail. only that little allen key...

Going to replace it with a hex head.

But seriously... wtf designed that gear shift arm bolt.

I also presume someone will come along and tell me i did it wrong. should have done x y z etc:)

2. You did it wrong. You are supposed to drain the oil out (waiting the obligatory 2 hours for it to drain), then remove the engine from the bike. After that, its easy! :)

You do wonder sometimes, though. On my 1098 I had a similar bolt that REALLY annoyed me every time I had to take it out. It was the one underneath the front of the nose cone...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information