1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anodised Alu And Surface Rust...

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Bullitt, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Hi Guys,

Any ideas on how to remove surface rust from some anodised aluminium?

Seems the Ducati Corse dept QC wasn't the best with these parts - same on both parts I have.

Thanks in advance.
    IMG_0934.JPG IMG_0933.JPG

2. You could try Fertan rust converter.

But I think I'd find a local anodizing company and ask them to do with their next black run.

chrome-distiller://6df19506-061b-4085-a9cf-c91d18145c61/?time=177747110&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffertan.co.uk%2Fhow_to_use_fertan.htm

3. From the colour, it appears that the part is steel as aluminium corrosion is normally white.
    “Rust” indicates a ferrous material.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Now I should've known that eh @RickyX ... schoolboy chemistry that a fridge magnet confirms.

Google has come up with an interesting cleaning method - vinegar and tin foil... I'll report back.

5. For rust on steel then you need to strip back and apply a phosphate treatment before repainting, using a good primer. For aluminium alloy parts you would use a chromate for the same purpose, but not if the part were anodised.
    Phosphate treatments come in the form of either a liquid or a jelly and turn the corrosion black. There used to be loads of them in car accessory shops, but I have not been in the UK for years so don't know what trade names are anymore.

6. as per RickyX post - first thing I would do is give both a good (WD etc) dousing around pivot - if those pivot pins are corroding within housing and 'growing' then could start to seize plus could damage pegs when you dismantle.
    I would dismantle and clean with a rotary wire brush and then paint iiwm.

• Like Like x 1
  7. As above, use a good rust *converter* which you can just paint on and leave for a while.
    It will convert the rust and provide a sealing layer, then you can paint as normal.

There's all sorts of brand names including Fertan, fuse, jenolite, loctite, etc but they all do the same thing. I bought a little pot from the local Ernest Doe (agricultural supplies) and use it for treating rust spots and so on. I did an entire frame from a mini-moto and repainted it silver and it came up a treat!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information