1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Another Belt Change Post :d

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by BB1000, Jan 27, 2019.

1. 100Hz max with our belts - not 110Hz nominal + a bit for a cold engine ;) the TB1100 belts being the wider of the belts on a smaller run are the first to be susceptible to noise if over tensioned.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Had a play around with the Gates carbon drive app after fitting new exact fit belts on the last 2 occasions (999 and streetfighter) Ive the app installed on 2 different Samsung mobiles (like to double check) Both show more or less the same reading without an external mic and fitting a mic made no difference whatsoever, Great tool for setting tension

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. i used the gates one on new belts and had the opportunity to compare the readings with the ducati tool...surprisingly accurate!

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I use the Allen key trick, far more reliable than the apple gates thing.

5. Is the gates app unreliable then?

6. Trying to get it consistent is very hit and miss , that's why garages have spring value tools, even today.

7. Also a hot belt at 22 Degrees Centigrade will resonate more than a belt stuck in your shed at minus 4 degrees.

8. What's the Allen key trick :confused: ? - please.
    Also the Gates app doesn't work on my phone anymore :(. (iOS 12.2.1)

#28 West Cork Paul, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. Thanks. Duhhh.....I forgot I'd watched that video :( - that's where I learnt how to change my belts.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. I certainly wouldn't be tensioning belts at anywhere near minus 4, Even plus 4, I had a heater on in the garage well before I tensioned, Probably be 10 to 15 degrees,
    What you say is a fairly important point to bring up while tensioning belts, Ide imagine same goes for however you decide to tension whether its the mobile app's/ allen key or the older type gauges,
    Imo the gates app is the way forward and most accurate

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I doubt the validity of that 5mm 'trick'. The 'trick that I have used is with a 5mm key and is shown by ca cycleworks here . The difference here - apart from this being on a single cam bike - is that you are properly testing tension on the longest distance between cogs. With the test above, you are measuring on a very short bit if belt between the two cam shafts. You can vary the tension at the tensioner pulley by quite a margin whilst having a smaller effect on the tension between the cashafts. I have a twin cam bike to do next but I wouldn't use the technique shown in the previous post. May be just me, but I wouldn't trust anything that I see shown by a guy who works on his bike in the garden on the floor!

14. Whether he works on the grass or not does not implicate him as a fool or not knowing what he can do. I have spent many hours with extremely clever engineers who work in wooden sheds that clearly know more than graduates working in air conditioned workshops, even now I use a trusted engineer who works out of a crappy 1950s shed in a farm that his work standards far exceed any modern factory.
    I have been fitting belts to cars for over 35 years and can tell when one is too tight or loose, how you measure it is what lies comfortably with the engineer who can do it.:upyeah:

15. where you measure is not relevant because the whole belt is in tension, whether it be the short piece or the long, it makes no difference. It is one

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. A belt will have more deflection on a larger span, than at a shorter span when tested. The larger span will have a lower frequency then a short span.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Frequency is measured on the longest length from the adjuster pulley?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Indeed.
    To play different notes on a string instrument, you alter the length of the string by means of your fingers.
    To tune that string to produce the correct note or frequency, you adjust the basic tension.
    Yes, the overall tension of a timing belt will affect all runs but each run will produce s different frequency according to its length.
    To set the correct frequency, it is necessary to measure the correct run.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. There are many factors to take into account when tensioning belts.

Here is an example of what I use for belts at work.

20190131_082819.jpg

20. times are hard.....we all have to tighten our belts!

There is a world of difference between physically just changing the older belts for newer ones.......and fitting them properly with the correct tension and most importantly the cam timing of the bike set correct to what is required for that bike!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information