1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Bloody Tractor (guzzi 1100 Sport)

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Old Jock, Jun 20, 2016.

1. looks real nice there

2. So since the last update

I've installed a relay mod for the headlight. 2 reasons Guzzi have a seriously twisted electrical designer, I'll spare you the details but the relays make the headlight brighter and stops the switch from getting toasted. It also prevents the battery from exploding as the reg sensing line sees about 1.5 volts below the battery. This should might prevent that.

[​IMG]

I tried wrapping the headers, to cover up the abomination of staining on the pipes.....................FAIL. I have pictures but unless somebody is SERIOUSLY nasty to me I won't post them up and save you all a trip to the eye infirmary.

"Hello is that Camcoat?"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh almost forgot I'm going to try an LED bulb as the Trapezoid headlight makes the stock 1098 look like a 747 on a night approach

[​IMG]

Finally discs and calipers arrived from ISR, wife's goanna swing for me when she sees the next bank balance

[​IMG]

The master is off the 1000 when I converted it to a hydraulic clutch and failed miserably (no surprise there then as it involved engineering know how). The M/C to slave ratio was pants and I had a wooden clutch operated by a switched wooden lever

You can simply reverse the lever assembly and stick it on the other side

[​IMG]

Big :upyeah: to @bettes for gettin me bars anodized black top class.......look great, pity I'll mark them like the complete clutz I am

Couple of overall shots

The next shots are unsuitable for people with aesthetic sensibilities/taste & the fashion police already have a warrant out for me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dash is next, if I don't self harm or start doing strong drugs before then (be a dammed site bloody cheaper)

John

• Like Like x 4
  3. So its been a while since I posted last on this but it's getting pretty near completion (thank God)

@Exige helped me out with a custom set of battery cables for the battery relocation so a big :upyeah::upyeah:

So here are a few pictures of further bodging to date

I know Guzzis are not everybody's taste and I seem to remember a certain forum member who'll remain nameless (@bradders) telling me it looked like Guzzi copied the Hayabusa's styling and made a complete arse of it..................wish he'd stop sugar coating to save my feelings

I can't help it if I like Fugly bikes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh that pressure gauge is getting replaced with something a little more tasteful. Note to self only order shit when sober

The mount also is a bit of a shit BUT........I didn't have to drill anything, it works and it's easy to take on or off, so as far as I'm concerned it works and its staying that way :scream:

[​IMG]

and lets not forget the battery cables (the middle cable is the balance plug for charging the individual banks of cells

[​IMG]

All in all this bike has been a bloody nightmare to strip and build. First everything was seized to strip and then everything has to hang off the spine frame on the build. Its chocka with with wires and plumbing for the FI and breather system. On the plus side share in Cable Tie makers have risen considerably.

All I'm waiting for is aforementioned pressure gauge and some parts of the seat unit back from the painter..............then the fun begins

John

• Like Like x 5
  4. Erm...nice to be thought of, but don't recall saying that. Although! I do sleep sleep most nights....

5. And actually that doesn't sound like something I'd say?

6. Yes, I recall you liking my Hayabusa actually :):upyeah:

7. It's not the comparison, more the making an arse of it that doesn't sound like me ;)

8. You do sleep every night, not most :)

9. Well perhaps I'm paraphrasing a bit @bradders

I'm too bloody lazy to find the actual quote so I just made it up.......................are you still talking to me?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. do me a favor OJ. fit the correct size of hose clips to the throttle body's. there messing with my OCD.

11. Okay dokey I'll get around to tidying some of the odds and ends..................would just chopping some of the excess do?

They are JCS Hi Torque clips I think marine grade dunno if that's got anything to do with it @finm

12. My best mate (RIP) had a Guzzi 1100 Sport Injection he bought new in the late 1990s (some weird metallic dark bronze colour), I used to borrow it when I'd crashed my Ducati (often) to go and get bits for it... no click'n'buy back then.

Once I'd plucked up the courage to actually use the thing in anger (I was scared of its weight and heft) I was amazed by how capable it was and how solidly the thing handled, totally defying its weight and layout. It had WP suspension front and rear which I'm sure helped, was a bloody great bike actually and IMO deserved it's 'Sport' name.

Good luck with this project, I'm sure every ride will be an experience!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. aye OJ. as long as it done neatly. and perfectly straight. :upyeah:

14. I remember an old DSC guy Monty had one, which Mark Lister (I think) raced and destroyed at Brands. Thing went like stink...including end on end at paddock hill :tired_face:

15. That really is clean. Looks brand new...

16. Thanks everybody for the positive posts.

I think the Le Mans I is to blame for this obsession when sitting on one in Bil Fleming's showroom when a mere stripling of a lad, could not believe how small it was!!

They really are tractors and use stone axe technology, that's how I can strip them..............God help me if I took a spanner to a Ducati, I wouldn't know where to start.

However they go not too bad and like @Air Duck said they can defy their heft, which I've never got quite my head around. The other Magni I have has any one wheel heavier than the 1098's two by quite a way, yet still handles respectably.

If you want performance you'd better shop elsewhere.

Both Magnis had their casings cleaned by Stephen Smethurst & although I had to pay a bit more I'm very pleased with the results

http://www.aloh.co.uk/

Here was the 1000's engine gearbox

[​IMG]

So next post, which will probably be a while, will be when I'm ready to "push the tit" & see what sort of noise it makes which could quite frankly be almost anything

John

#36 Old Jock, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Looking good! :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Nice. I love Guzzi's, they're uber cool in my book.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. dont buy one o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Excavated a set of T3 crashbars from depths of the garage this weekend.

They need a weld.

Free to good home, if collected, or just pay p&p at cost

PM me if interested, please

Do Not Sell My Personal Information