1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Another Cracked Speedo Display!

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by DRR117, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Well it's finished I'm happy I doubt if you didn't know you could spot the fix.
    If anyone wants to have ago don't to be frightened, it's time consuming but not tricky really. A band saw is the one tool that really makes life easy so if you have access to one your laughing as for the oven about 150c is what I found best just keep an eye on it and when it's soft go for it.

P.S

Buy enough Perspex to make 3 or 4 so you can practice and use the best one.
    IMG_4063.JPG

IMG_4064.JPG

#181 TLMARK, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 12
  2. looks spot on. mines got a tiny hairline crack so i guess ill be doing thins at some point:(

3. You want to be using U.V stable perspex or the screen with go yellow as its bleeched by the sun.

Great job; TLmark'

4. Nice job:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Good work there Mate, looks fantastic and its been an interesting thread to follow this one ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Looking like you found yourself a nice little sideline.......

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I looked at 4 848/1098's before settling on the one I've got - 2 of them had the 'crazing' across the screen, one of the 848's had it REALLY badly...and as mentioned before, I researched and it seems to be the sudden changes of temperature that does it...spoke with my local Ducati dealer regarding it too and they wouldn't touch them under warranty or as a 'recall' as the bikes were too old (08/09 plates..) and would only sell me a complete new unit at a cost of £1000+?!!?

I personally don't think I'd have the skill or courage to give the acrylic fix as detailed above a go, but fantastic work all the same and very impressive!! If I were you sir, I'd start making up a few templates and offering it as a service...!

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. I'd order a couple!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Making acrylic screens is the easy bit.
    Its cutting away the original screen thats the tricky bit not to mention making it fully waterproof.
    Its one of those jobs that you do at your own risk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Anyone making these replacement dash panels??? I need one (a mate does) - any help or info GREATLY appreciated! TIA!!!

@TLMARK ???

11. Goddammit, just been in my garage to check something during my lunch hour, to find my 1299S has a crack on the speedo. Was fine yesterday. 2015 model, so no warranty.

12. Ouch. Id still ask ducati if I were you. They might be able to do a deal as a good will gesture with it being a known issue. I had mine changed under warranty.

13. I'll give it a try, but I wont hold out much hope. Tis a small crack atm. About 10mm.

14. Monsters clocks are renowned for the same cracking fault. Wouldn't you think by now Ducati could have changed the material, or at least changed the way the clocks are made to enable the screens to be replaced at a reasonable cost? Twenty five years and they haven't realised its a problem?

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  15. I think it's a case of trying to replicate the issue and finding why they crack. Which I image is quite difficult. My first clocks lasted 900 miles. My current ones are 4000 and counting. And I haven't changed where the bike is kept, washed or ridden.

16. Consumer Rights Act. Read up on it. Part should be of sufficient quality (6 years) is the limit from new.

17. 1299s speedo started cracking. 1 year old 2500 miles. This also happened on my 899. Ducati really need to address this issue. Dealer taken a picture to send to Ducati. Cracked screen is a cracked screen and they must be well aware of the issue. Perhaps they should changed the design to gorilla glass.

• Agree Agree x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information