1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Another Cracked Speedo Display!

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by DRR117, Mar 9, 2017.

1. If you have nothing useful to say why bother commenting at all? We all browse the topics on the forum if your not interested ignore it! Dont stick your boot in without any justified reason other than to cause trouble!

You can see that this is something that I and others are passionate about, you comments would only ever draw someone into an argument.

2. Perhaps they won't but if you don't try you'll never know!

With all due respect if this thread has no interest why bother posting here? I think the reason is to scorn and attempt to draw people into arguments.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I thought I was saying something useful - it's an old used bike and something has failed on it. The amount of time, energy, and stress you are pouring into this seems disproportionate and perhaps you might want to take a step back and have a think about it a little for your own sake.

Shit breaks or fails all the time, replace it with new/used and move on.

Is that a little more clear?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Grem, as above its been put over to the correct place, so fingers crossed,

I also own a 2010 848 and so far ok with dash, if they could just supply the front dash screen only, that would help/solve the problem, so best to hope the manufactures still have the moulds and could do a run as i would probably get one.

5. Air duck, my Dash first showed cracks when my bike was less than 3 years old i just had to live with it until it got worse. The age of the bikes is really not the issue because dash fronts have never been available outside of warranty and they still are not. If you buy a panigale tomorrow and 2 years and 1 day later the dash cracks you are in for a new screen @ £1200 or live with it. Some of the screens have really badly cracked so living with it is not really always an option.

The parts are made by MTA it seems but Ducati will not supply them which is the issue. I was and would be annoyed to find my just out of warranty bike needed a whole expensive dash. It doesn't even make commercial sense really as I wouldn't buy a new dash whatever given the price but i would buy a new front for say £100 as would most others i suspect. Look after your customers and make a few quid to boot.

• Agree Agree x 2

6. I also have a cracked speedo on my 748, I don't have a double fitted, mine cracked while sat in the garage over the winter, I have been reading all these post, with the lack of back up by Ducati ! I have access to a machine shop and I think I can fix our problem but I need your help I need a couple of knackered speedo's, so anybody out there have a duff unit, my email address, [email protected] contract me please

#106 gtg, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  7. Exactly. This is also a common problem on the 749/999 - mine cracked just sitting in the garage over the winter. £1500 for new instrument cluster vs mint second-hand on eBay for £90.

8. Had the same problem with my 899 lasy year. Bike was two years old. Parked in garage over winter uncovered it to discover it all crazed.
    Pro Twins at Godstone were superb in sorting it for me. Should not have happened though. Keep the 1098 you wont be happy with anything else.

• Like Like x 1
  9. But according to Air Duck its now an old used bike so time to move on :grinning:

10. Quite, and I really don't get it. Of my three bikes and two cars, the youngest is five years old, simply because the cost of 'updating' to a new one exceeds my perception of the benefit I'd get from the change. In two cases (including my Multistrada), I regard my existing machines as better (to me) in absolute terms than their later replacements.

11. Completely agree with you. It's shit and wouldn't it be nice if we never had to purchase complete assemblies but just purchase the sub-assembly we require? Yes of course it would, however it doesn't work like that unfortunately. Never have I seen any manufacturer offering sub assemblies of electronic components fitted to their vehicles and especially with things like dash displays. You might get lucky and have an indicator lens or whatever but chances are you'd have to buy a whole new indicator, it's the way it is. Sure if someone can find a supplier of the screens then fantastic, as I said earlier the 999s had these issues over 10-13 years ago and the fix then, as it is now, is look out for a used one, buy a new one, or bang your head against a wall instead. It is of course unacceptable on a new or nearly new or just out of warranty bike - assuming it wasn't the users own fault that caused a problem. Just like all the blown engines, dodgy gearboxes, flaking rockers, overtightened cranks, cracking frames, wanky fuel tanks, etc, etc, etc.

I wrote what I did earlier because the OP has a bought an approx. 8-10 year old bike, decided he didn't like it for whatever reason, wants to flog it, yet his dash has cracked (I'll take his word that it happened on its own) and he's acting like invoking some version of the Lemon Law or Not Fit For Purpose stunt including seeing if MCN would run an article - because he wants someone else to pay for his dash.

Thank goodness he didn't buy a supercar then he'd know what real pain is.

12. You pair of pussys, I can almost hear your tears from here. Why don't you two go to basic reading and comprehension skills class together?

13. Good grief. Who stuck a hot spark plug up your arse? I really don't give a flying fuck whether people buy new, old or a Stanley Steamer - I can and have done all of that (OK, not the Stanley Steamer) - but my point was that a issue with an older machine is no less irritating when it's a basic design or supply issue. So you might want to revisit both the semantics and the semiotic of your original post and work out why it came across in the way it did. In the meantime, I'll just suggest that you take more water with it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. R5oL_f-maxage-0 (1).gif

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Thereby showing a surprising level of self-awareness. Congratulations, Sir, you are indeed muppet of the day.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Ok. Less of the personal insults children otherwise I'll just close the thread. Fair enough?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Here is a link to an article where he has made his own screen New to 1098S ownership - DIY cracked dash repair - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information