1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Ducati 1000 Build

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by buzzer, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Very nice set up and work there:upyeah:.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dizzying skills!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. well its running really well now, and its got a very stable tickover... dry clutch always sounds like a bag of spanners through!

here is a short video...

• Like Like x 6
  4. Now for the part I actually enjoy doing… the wiring! I am building this loom completely from scratch, save for things like the handlebar switches, although I am replacing the outer sheathing as it was tatty. I know this is something a lot of people struggle with but over the years I have developed a system… I start with a design in my head and I put it down in rough on my Ipad, using an Ipencil which I find brilliant. then I transfer it to visio, which I print out and add the colour of wires on as I go along. I don’t try to it all on one diagram like in workshop manuals, but keep separate pages for different circuits like lights, indicators, ignition… I also create tables of key components where they have pin outs.

All this is put into the build folder which I always pass on when I sell the bikes.

I have a nice crimp tool which is normally sufficient, but if I am in any doubt I put a dab of solder on the joint. I also don’t use pre insulate connectors, instead I put 20mm of heat shrink on which makes a nice joint, and the heat shrink also supports the joint. If you use the glue lined heat shrink, it also makes the joint waterproof. this is of course if I am not using super seal connectors which are not only excellent, but also cheap! and finally, I use the most useful little kit, which has tools for removing all types of pins from connectors!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  5. Run out of a few wire connectors so moved onto the cam belt covers till they come… I made some of these a few years ago and they worked well… but this time I have made the holes oval and I think they look better. used a hole saw to cut the circles, and a saw in the dremel to cut the straight bits. just got to carbon dip them now and make the polycarbonate windows…

Also mounted the plate that holds the hall sensors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  6. for some parts of the loom I have used this braided sheathing... its a bit fiddly to do but the results are good. I notice a lot of cars use this now on the loom.

Another job I have been meaning to get around to... The FCR carbs need a one into two cable setup. I was going to use a junction box off an old British bike, but all the ones I could see were either too short on the pull distance, or terrible quality, so I decided to make one. I was going to make it out of aluminum but had difficulty getting nice threads, probably due to the grade of alloy bar I had. so brass it is. It also allowed me to put longer holes to retain the cables, all the ones I looked at only had short holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  7. here is the plate to hold the ignition switch. It didn't look right just flat, so I made a small press tool to add a raised ring where the switch goes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  8. The detail you put into these builds Tony is impressive :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks!

Finished the wiring apart from the horn as it didn't seem to like being bead blasted!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. I like this hydrographics, I may do my helmet soon, there are some nice films out there! here is a link to a 2 min video of how its done in the back garden with an Ikea box! if you don't like fake carbon... don't click the link!

[​IMG]

#30 buzzer, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Done a few jobs in preparation for the start… put the jets in the carbs, started with what I think will be rich to be on the safe side… made a stay for the oil cooler, and made the ignition leads. I have had that crimp tool since I was 20… so its 45 years old! it does make nice crimps on the leads though. I have used copper core leads, and resistor plugs to keep the neighbours happy! *The hydro dipping came out quite good...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  12. Try as I might I just couldn’t get the fuel pipes to run correctly with a standard flat “T” piece… the bends in the pipe were too tight. so I ended up making a custom one out of brass… took a few hours…

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  13. My clutch covers plates are back from the laser cutters… he turned it around in a day... he said he has hardly any work as all his customers are having a hard time... its tough out there... Over the last couple of years I have been learning CAD… Its not an intuitive package and I get frustrated, but get there in the end!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  14. It's very satisfying to make bits for a project you are doing. Well done that man & it's always great for us lesser mortals to see :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  15. The seat pad came back from Aldridge trimming and as usual Karen did a fantastic job… she said she was not asked for orange stitching very often! next job was to make the fuel filter holder… this took some thinking about due to the position, and the fact I wanted it to be secure… In the end I machined a clip out of nylon. there is an annular grove which stops the filter moving, its very secure

started it up yesterday… it actually started first time!… but it didn’t run well… A quick check on the timing revealed it was significantly out. Looks like I made a calculation error in placing the magnets. rather than re-make the timing wheel, I slotted the mounting holes on the miller. A simple job, but it took ages to set it up! This of course meant that I had to turn off the original timing marks and scribe some new ones. I used a pointer and timing disc in the lathe to do this. the marks were scribed using a sharp tool, drawn across the surface with the cross slide. I think that way they are pretty accurate! here is a short video of it running.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  16. Always have jobs where the set up takes far far longer than the actual machining.

Great work :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  17. thanks!

yesterday’s job was to make some velocity stacks for the FCR’s… first time in many years I have done some free hand turning (just like wood turning) to get the shape of the curved entry right. took ages to bet both to match the plastic one… the new ones will enable me to use filters as its important on the road in particular as the carbs face forward…

last update for a little while as its my 65th birthday tomorrow and I am having a week off apparently :lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  18. Happy Birthday Tony :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. That’s craftsmanship and engineering on a biblical level :) fantastic work... brilliant :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. thanks for the birthday wishes... bit of a strange one... zoom meetings with family and friends!

first time out in the daylight for a while… its running OK, just need to change the carb needles which are on order, then a road test...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information