1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Pantah Rebuild

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Derek, Mar 22, 2016.

1. All sorted now and back together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#61 Derek, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  2. No pictures for me?

3. Sorry @Derek - photos not showing ...

4. Hopefully you can see them now. Google photos is driving me up the wall with their sharing options.

5. Today was quite a good. I finally got round to fitting the final shim to the swinging arm spindle and it now has no discernible side float. :)
    Fitted the rear brake calliper, master cylinder and brake line then found that the brake switch I had was just that - a switch not a banjo with a switch. I've ordered the correct part from Mdina Italia.
    I the fitted the Conti 2 into 1 exhaust. What juggling job that was :rage: I had to get my son to help. Between us we managed to get all the collars and split collets into place and the nuts tightened. I then found that the new passenger footrests that came with the bike don't appear to fit. I expected them to have an M10 x 1.25 thread but they seem to be slightly larger, and the rider pegs which are M10 x 1.25 only have one nut between them so I've had to source another 2 stainless ones.
    Finally I connected a battery and was pleased to find all the lights work as expected. The horn and indicators aren't connected so I didn't bother even checking the circuit On pressing the starter the engine turns over and best of all it's got sparks.
    I later had a search for rear footrests on the internet and they appear to be like hen's teeth. The only place that has them is Back to Classics at 30€ each but here listing says 7/16" which is about the size of the ones I've got. What gives here? Are M10 x 1.25 ones not available or have I go the size wrong? Any ideas @Pete1950

6. Pillion footrests on bevels and Pantahs are a real headache. The threads are different between the rider's and pillion's footrests. The thread for the pillion (or the bolt holding on the silencer, if no pillion footrests are fitted) is the only metric size which is almost identical to a UNF size (7/16 inch); the thread form* is not quite the same, but they are close enough to be used at a pinch. This is the same size and thread of bolt traditionally used for fixing seat-belts in cars.

Getting the correct ones for Pantahs is very difficult. You may have to settle for something vaguely similar and usable but not exactly right. If the rubber is worn or damaged, it is extremely difficult to fit a new one without damaging it in the process, even if you could find one.

* [Later correction] The 20 tpi thread form is virtually identical to the 1.25mm thread form. It is the diameter which is slightly different. P

#66 Pete1950, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  7. The bike is all done now bar the paintwork which I'm still waiting on. The painters had a problem with the resin based plastic body work causing the paint to blister when they baked it so it's having to dry naturally and is taking ages, otherwise I would have had it complete several weeks ago. For the charge warning light I used a device from improvingclassicmotorcycles.com. I already have one on my 907ie and it works a treat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  8. At last some progress. I got the tank, seat and fairing back from the painters. Looking good I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#68 Derek, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Sorry, I can't see the images. Could you try again?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Strange with the pictures. I have had previous trouble with Google Photos after they changed their file sharing requirements but now I put the files into a shareable folder where anyone with the link can see them. After posting yesterday I checked the post using Safari instead of Chrome so I was definitely not logged in to Google and could see them no problem, and still can. I just checked again using Firefox and I can't. So I've now edited the post by removing the photos and re-attaching them and I can now see them with Chrome, Safari and Firefox. So hopefully all can see them now. This is not the first time I've had this problem using Google Photos. Sorry about that @Pete1950

11. Thank you. The pics are now visible.

Pantah looking good, coming on nicely. Excellent job. Good luck finishing it off. How much is left to do?

12. Not much Pete. Fit the screen and indicators to the fairing. Fit the side panels. Fit the filler cap and fuel taps to the tank. Put petrol in it, prime the accelerator pumps then see if it fires up :smiley:

I will need to do something about the rear shocks though. I came with a brand new unused pair of YSS units bought but never fitted by the original owner. I fitted them to the bike and found that the rear wheel touches the ground when it's on the centre stand making it a bit unstable. I measured them and found that they're 330mm between centres whereas they should 310mm for the Pantah. So it looks like they are in fact for a Darmah or MHR. Pity because they have 4 position rebound damping adjustment, although I guess I should be able to sell them. They wouldn't do the handling any good either.
    I've been looking on eBay at original Marzocchi Stradas but they are either costing an arm and a leg or are knackered and need fully refurbished which also costs an arm and a leg. So I'll probably buy another set of YYS that are the correct length.

13. You could get a pair of Hagon shocks to be going on with. They can supply units of the correct length and spring rate to suit your bike, and I have found them very helpful. The "Hagon" logos are just stickers which can be peeled off. The Hagons are not original for a Pantah, obviously, but they work well and look OK. You might be able to find a good pair of red piggy-back Marzocchis at some future date - but don't bank on it!
    Hagon Shocks Limited - Twin shocks, Mono shocks, Fork Springs, Wheels

14. I'll bear these in mind Pete. The adjustable damper versions at £206 seem like a good deal.
    I've been offered a pair of Paioli shocks from a 600SL for £85 and although they are in good condition at 30+ years old it would be advisable to have them rebuilt, if possible, but that would add another couple of hundred pounds to the cost. I'm not sure that I'd really want to spend that much on them for the sake of authenticity.

15. If the Paiolis are the type I suspect they are, they were rubbish even by 1981 standards, and as you rightly say will be no better after 30 odd years. Also, you don't see much of the shocks on a Pantah anyway because they are half-hidden by the seatbase.

16. Because that's what was available?

Or maybe someone ordered a load and didn't realise they were ordering UNF, not metric.

Has to be for some equally daft reason....

17. Yes, I suspect that they were generally available. If there are thousands of them readily on hand from an external supplier why go to the expense of getting ones specially made with a metric thread?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Today I finally got it fired up. It started very quickly and is running quite well although I still have to balance the carbs, set the idle mixture up and idle speed. There are few bits to tidy up but not much else apart from replacing the shocks. Too late to tax it for this year though the salty roads are only few days away up here.
    The finished bike (I hope there is no problem with seeing the images this time) :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 13
  19. Superb, lovely job. What a pleasure to see your 500SL completed. Congratulations. May you have many happy rides on it next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Thanks Pete. I'm sure I'll love it.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information