1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Antifreeze

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Selv, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Hi all I’ve just checked my antifreeze and I can’t see it on the level,
    So presuming I need to top it up,
    What’s the options to what to put in it,
    I’ve looked at the book and it recommends shell antifreeze,
    But I’ll have to order that but I need some now and my only close shop is Halfords

2. As its highly poisonous I prefer to get the dealer to divy out their supplies.

3. You need to know what sort was already in it as mixing and matching can cause issues. If you aren't sure its better to fully flush it imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. That’s the plan now to be honest

5. As others have said, flushing the system makes sense. Also, no offence meant, but you have to fill the cooling system from the top. I don't know about the 1199 but on my 1198, the highest point is the radiator filler cap and to get at it you have to diassemble half the bike (or so it seems!). The "official" workshop manual says to fill the system via the expansion bottle, but it can't be done...

6. if you have an 1199 and don't know if the coolant has been changed then maybe plan for a flush and refill.
    i did my friends 1199s tricolor and the coolant stank, and there was a lot of sludge in the lower radiator that i flushed out.

to make it easier, remove the nose fairing as well, as it will give you much better access to the radiator cap, and if you feel the need, once the headlight fairing is off, then its only a 4 screws and 2 hoses to remove the complete radiator assembly, to help flushing.
    i used Motocool Organic + in my 1199 and have no issues with it, and readily available from most suppliers

7. You can fold a plastic £5 or £10 note into a squashable funnel and fill up slowly - much quicker than dissembling the bike. There is just enough access to loosen the cap and fill. :):upyeah:

8. Cheers all, yeah I’ve had a good luck and with a decent funnel or even using a syphon method will work,

move looked at the motul Motocool to which I’ve just ordered,
    I’m more annoyed as it was serviced by Ducati then at the dealer I bought it off only in June and it’s a brown colour and smells and it’s been running to hot, so I’m doing some investigation work,
    I’ll flush it, top it all up and then go from there,

9. Without opening a can of worms here, Antifreeze is like oil etc the good stuff is all manufactured to industry standards, as long as you are buying a reputable brand, which meets the same standard as the OE product, then all is OK.

The reason the book recommends Shell, is that Shell have paid VW Audi Group a shed load of money to be the recommended fluids for Ducati. Also, the factory will be on very preferential prices for their oils, antifreeze, grease etc.

Generally in Ducati you will find blue or red antifreeze, both manufactured to BS 6580: 2010. The difference is the technology in the products and the working life. Generally Blue will be 2 year life, with Red being 5 year life. You can mix red and blue, but, it turns a nasty brown colour and you lose the benefits of the extended life of the red product.

Simply find an antifreeze that has the same colour as your system, manufactured to BS6580 from a reputable brand. Buy 100% concentrate, mix 50/50 with deionised water and top up. This will give you freeze protection to -40c (ish), assuming the system is also 50/50 and not just been topped up in the past with water. You can buy pre mix antifreeze, but, the % mix can change from brand to brand. Safer to buy 100% concentrate and mix yourself. Don't use antifreeze neat, or try to go with a stronger mix thinking you are going to get a better performance. Majority of antifreeze start to lose the freeze protection and perform worse, once the % goes over 60% antifreeze. Better to work on 50/50 mix for the UK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. if its also running hot then i would plan a flush and clean as well, i spent about 30 mins washing out dirt from my 1199 lower radiator and there was lots of sludge and calcium deposits in the lower rad as well.. does your coolant stink of fish? mine was disgusting....

Do Not Sell My Personal Information