1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Harleeee Owners On Here?

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Old Jock, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Especially Sportster or FXR

I'm trying to find out the diameter of the instruments

Its to purchase a mount to mod a Guzzi to take US 3 3/8th gauges and I was wondering if the Harley gauges were that size

You'd need to measure where the instrument goes into the bezel

Not holding out much hope but its worth a shot

John

2. Do Hartleys have instruments? Thought they Just had a steam gauge and an hours meter.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Not old enough yet

4. The gearing will be different, Old Jock.........don't waste your time (Metric versus the US version of Imperial).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Al (@Arquebus ) I'm not wanting the Hardlee gauges just the mount, my plan is then to get some Marshall gauges to install into the dash mount

Something like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Except with a black bezel and they will double gasket the gauges on request to make them water resistant (not waterproof) but that should be good enough as the fairing offers some protection and I don't ride much in the rain.

It turns out what I'm looking at will take 3 3/8th gauges as I suspected so all I need to do now try to get get it.

Many thanks all

6. Be careful, then.......my Sportster has a speedo that on first appearance it can be easily measured - until you realise it is inside another outer shell - besides, it's digital not mechanical. Little point in measuring mine really, even if I do dismantle it for the sake of measuring something.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ok Al thanks for the heads up, this thing is a bit different Looks like this, I've seen the type that look like Madonna's bra.

Providing the auction doesn't go to silly money, I'm ready to take a chance

[​IMG]

The gauges I'm looking at are both electronic, but the Sporti already has an electronic tach and gets a negative pulse from the ECU, standard for most electronic tachs.

I already have an inductive pickup and mount which reads the rear disc bolts or I can purchase a rev to pulse converter to mount at the gearbox to get a signal.

The reason I can't use the Guzzi cluster is it will only accept 82mm diameter instruments max and the 3 3/8th" are 84-85mm

8. Some Harley models have: 5-7/8", 5", 4-1/2"; 4" speedo / dial diameters ....

.............. the speedo outer 'can' on stock Sportsters is apparently 3-5/8" ID and 3-3/4" OD.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. I just looked at mine and it appears the outer 'can' is part of the mounting bracket but the OD of the speedo bezel is the same as the 'can' at 3-3/4".

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Thanks Al (@Arquebus )

The guy measured it (allegedly) & told me it's around the 85mm mark

If I can get it at a reasonable price I'll purchase it, if its not right I'll put it back on E-Bay.

If it's a little to big I'll experiment with O rings or the like...............might not win it anyway

I'll let you know

John

11. Being a Marshall shouldn't that rev counter go up to 11? :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. Draw up what you need, shouldnt be to hard to get made.

13. Well I won the auction & its on the way $15.50 invested so no great shakes if I cannot make it fit, it's meant to be new too and never sullied by use on a Hardlee

Sure easy to get made problem is making, then coating is goanna cost a bit more than this

Now leaning towards Speed Hut easier mounting plus integral warning lights solve a few problems

Still prefer the look of the Marshalls but Speed Hut solves the problems and are slightly cheaper too

I'll post up when it arrives

John

14. Was going to suggest Autometer as an alternative, but at that price I'll pipe down.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information