1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

950 Any Lever Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by GrumpyGolfer, Jul 10, 2019.

1. First change I'm looking to make is a change of levers, as I don't like the fact that the clutch lever isn't adjustable. I'm looking at either the Evo Tech or the V-Trex VX, long length. Anyone got these, pros and cons or can anybody recommend something different. Probably leaning towards the V-Trex at the moment but if someone's got a good argument I'm willing to listen.

Thanks.

2. Evotech Performance quality and fit is tops as I have purchased may items from them without regrets.
    Their levers are exactly like the Pazzo Performance which I have on four bikes.
    They're awesome and easy to adjust even on the fly.
    Moreover, they are made in the UK.

#2 DarR, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  3. I’d go for asv levers,

4. Thanks for that, good to know about the quality. I like the idea with the V-Trek that there is continuous adjustment rather than fixed positions; did you find the range of movement enough? I've got large palms but relatively short fingers.

I've never used anything but long levers. Why do you find the short versions better?

Thanks.

5. If they made them for mine I wouldn't be asking, I'd have bought them already. Had them on the previous bike & loved them.

6. I edited my post to remove that comment because I though it wasn't relevant but now that you asked:
    I find long levers slower to shift. Moreover, two-finger shifting offers more precision as you're less likely to unnecessarily pull the lever all the way. It's also safer as it allow your remaining fingers to firmly hold the grip. Finally if you use two-finger shifting with long levers. you're likely to hit the knuckles of your two-smaller fingers and you can also slip as they have no ball-end to prevent it from happening.
    I would never go back to long levers.

About the clicker: the range of adjustment is fine. You'll find that you can quickly and readily alternate between two sizes. In traffic, I sometimes want the friction to come in early. Then revert to normal for regular riding.
    20190711_190241.jpg
    My wife is 5'2" with small hands and fingers. I installed short Pazzo's on her CBR300R as shown. Problem solved.

IMG_20160607_085714.jpg

#6 DarR, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Pazzo for me

8. Thanks again. well if I do go for Pazzo's they state only short levers with hand guards and as the hand guards include the indicators they aren't going anywhere.

Appreciate the comments re short levers, as I said I've always used long ones and my big concern about the short ones is braking with half a hand when you really need to... :eek:

9. You don't have to buy Pazzo's as the Evotech Performance from UK seem to be the same blueprint.
    As for braking, the Brembo M50's are powerful enough to do a stoppie with one finger.
    Why don't you just hold off until you get to try a bike with short levers? Then decide what you like best.

10. I personally don't believe in encouraging knock-off products (especially for brakes) but sure, give the short bootlegs a go then buy the real thing.

11. And to a large degree I'd agree with that.

At the time I posted it, I was £185 down as I had a set of ASV levers which according to ASV were the correct fit for the bike. Sportsbikeshop, from whom I bought them, didn't show a listing for mine, but you'd trust the manufacturer, wouldn't you. When they arrived, they patently obviously didn't fit, as the clutch lever came with pushrods for the master cylinder; not a lot of help with the cable clutch! Fair play to Sportsbikeshop, they've refunded me and I didn't have to pay postage back.

So now if we look at EvoTech & Pazzo, one says that only the shorties fit, one doesn't. Looking at the retail outlets, some also have the same issue as ASV as the clutch levers photographed clearly won't take a cable connection, and they're not cheap. But which ones will actually fit?

Or you try the cheap option because it's slightly less painful if you are caught out again...

Perfectly understand & accept the point, just trying to add some perspective to the potential decision. :upyeah:

As to the actual lever change, it will now be the second mod, as there is now a new Puig touring screen attached. :)

12. Update; set of Lextek short levers fitted, shortly to be removed as short levers aren't for me, at least on this bike. The front brake I'm okay with, got happier with it the longer I rode. The clutch was the issue as it fouled the fingers still on the bar, and I think it's because it's a cable clutch.

The brake lever has its pivot point away from the bar so as it pivots in, it effectively shortens the lever, clearing the fingers still on the bar. The clutch has its pivot point near the bar so as it pivots the lever effectively lengthens, catching the fingers still on the bar.

I'd certainly consider short levers on a different bike, but not for this one. Thanks for the advice DarR, appreciated.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Sorry only just saw this so might be too late fr you.
    I have used the V-Trec foldable and adjustable ones on my 1200, they also do them for the 950.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.motea.com/en/brake-leve...tistrada-1260-s-18-19-foldable-119943-0?b=528
    the only issue I found when we were in Corsica (LOTS of braking) for some reason the thumbscrews had loosened off and the brakes were getting worse and worse until I was pulling the lever back to the bar. I didn't notice they had loosened off whilst it was happening (I was convinced it was my pads) but as soon as I wound them back again they were fine. It's now something I check before a ride and it's never happened again.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Twin4me, thanks for that. Slightly concerning that they self adjusted. How did you find the foldable aspect of them; any issues in normal operation? V-Trec do foldable and non-foldable in both these and the version with the 6 fixed positions. Saw some on a Suzuki parked at the Infinity clothing sale in Camberley on Saturday but couldn’t find an owner to ask them about how they found them.

15. I like the foldable option, they have never moved whilst using the bike but may have saved the levers in a couple of topple offs.

I think the self adjusting was a one off, maybe the super hard, very frequent braking and bumpy roads in Corsica? It’s never done it again. I think they might also do a Click adjuster version as well?

#17 Twin4me, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. I've got Gilles X-Treme Ergo 2 levers on the 1098R, but I am a bit of a Gilles fan boy, having the rear sets too. I've had them on my previous 1098S and Streetfighter S. Adjustable, Foldable, Quality kit. :heart_eyes:

Now if only Arai made levers. :)
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Thanks for all the advice. Something didn't quite sit right with me with foldable levers, which ruled out the Evo-Tech as they only make folding long levers.

V-Trec Standard black long levers with titanium adjusters now ordered.

18. @GrumpyGolfer
    Cool. Glad you settled on something you like. Levers are just about the most personal item you can change on a bike.
    Surprisingly, they do affect how you ride.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information