1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Recommendations For Brake Pads?

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by Red Steve/Yellow Dave, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Hi all, My ST3 is due a service shortly and as well as new belts I'm going to fit new pads too. I had some new tyres fitted last September and the fitter (a 999 owner) reckoned although they were still legal they had seen better days and that the bike could do with a new set.

As I'm off on a 10 day tour of Belgium, Holland & Germany in a couple of months I think I'd probably be best sorting these before I leave...

Anyway looking on line EBC do a couple of options ;

Ducati ST3 Brake Pad Options(*) :
    Front FA244HH Sintered (2 Sets) (£42.99)
    Front FA244 Kevlar (2 Sets) (£32.99)

I've no idea what are currently fitted so wondered is it worth the extra £10 for the sintered pads? I mostly ride two up with my wife as pillion and luggage too. Tend to ride well within the limits and no track days etc.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. I never use EBC, they always feel wooden. EBC have done a fantastic marketing job on a mediocre product.

Brembo pads are good. Vesrah pads are good. Ferodo pads are good. Everyone has different preferences, but I would go for one of the three above on my Multi :)

3. Fair point, it's not really something I've paid much attention to in all honesty. I've found some Brembo ones on line and have the option of Carbon Ceramic for a £1 or so more per pair than the sintered ones. What are the main differences and given my requirements which do you think would be best suited?

4. Carbon ceramic will have a higher heat range, but outside of a racetrack you likely would not need that. Usually HH sintered are more than up to the job on road bikes. If I were you, I would be using Brembo pads. For sure when I change mine - that is what will go in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks, will order a set tomorrow.

6. Before you order, consider Carbon Lorraine pads. Apparently nowadays known as CL brake pads.
    I don’t know if they have carbon in them or what but that’s the brand name.

I put them on my ST4 and was very pleased with them. I’d heard EBC were a bit wooden so went for CL.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Z04's. The final solution :laughing:

8. I have reverted to using the hooves of unicorns.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Good luck with that when you find yourself in a head on with a Subaru. :laughing:

10. Can't find a supplier that has any CL in stock at the moment..

11. Just a point, if you are mainly doing 2 up riding check the rear as that gets more use with 2 up :upyeah:

12. I find CL pads perform very well and cause far less disc wear than EBC .... BUT I've had several pairs de-laminate on my courier bikes.

I returned one pair and got the following: You've been using them on salted roads and not washed them thoroughly after every ride.

Needless to say I now use Brembo pads!

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information