1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Safe Riding Tips?

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Mark9, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Probably read Roadcraft. More life saving nuggets to be had there than on a forum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Always check your tyre pressures, if you can’t be bothered to get the pressure gauge out at least give the tyres a kick, at least you’ll spot a badly deflated tyre before it’s too late that way (but as experienced motorcyclists we always use the gauge of course!)

3. Good tip, of course you’d need to know that “roadcraft” exists, which now more people do because you’ve mentioned it on a forum.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Never let your granny ride pillion unless you are sure she is wearing panties

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Avoid any vehicle where the occupant is wearing a hat, as they’ll either be a yOoF smoking a spliff, an OAP or a police officer.

Ride a lot and in all weathers apart from ice and snow. Practice makes perfect.

Wear the right gear for the weather. If you’re freezing cold and can’t feel your hands and feet properly, then you’ll probably crash. Go on. Ask me and my left tibia how we know that.

Best single piece of advice I ever had was that if you find yourself using the word “suddenly” when describing an incident on the road, then most likely it’s you that’s fkd up (because if you’d been assessing hazards properly then it wouldn’t have happened suddenly).*

Apart from that, read Roadcraft, do the Bikesafe course or similar and do the California Superbike School.

* Obviously, that doesn’t include such things as pianos falling out of the sky etc

#25 Zhed46, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Don't ride in the cold, rain or snow, it's not big and it's not clever :bucktooth:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  7. I’ve never forgotten the following sound bite my RAC instructor told me while doing my bike safety course as a 17yr old. “Red lights don’t stop cars, brakes stop cars” I’ve used it with both my kids since

• Like Like x 2
  8. Go do an IAM or ROSPA course.

Also, think.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. See any car wanting to exit a side road up ahead then cover your brake and move position in the lane to give yourself evasion room just in case, oh and knock a bit of speed off

When riding behind a car position yourself in the drivers mirror over to the right of the lane, it's the mirror they're more likely to use along with the rear view (Don't cling to the kerb)

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. I don't road ride these days but when I did my sensors would automatically heighten x3 from that of driving a car. And as a result I would notice shitloads more. Especially shit drivers. Road position and spacial awareness with some drivers is shocking. Particularly women and old folks. Whenever I spotted either at a junction an imaginary 'danger' claxon would sound in my head.... :eek:

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Would you mind driving your car like that too please? Me and my friends are motorcycling. Thank you. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Like women and old folks? Nah...:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Just because your mates are riding like twats doesn’t mean you have to

If you’re over 40 make sure you have a pee each time you fill up with fuel

you’re never too old to learn

RapidTraining do a great 1:2 road craft day, expensive but worth it

Practice your emergency stop - make sure you know what your bike feels like when you grab those anchors - when I taught moped riders back in the 80’s (before traffic & abs) they had to be confident stopping in the quickest time possible in the safest manner before going out in the road & had an understanding of front and rear brake percentages / I can only assume they still teach this?

:).

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I am having lessons on Saturday mornings by a IAM/ Blood biker instructor, all very interesting and feel I am learning a lot, we went to a quiet industrial estate and worked on activating the abs on emergency braking, amazing how long the stopping distance is from 30mph. Never to old to learn.

15. If you go out at night, wear white
    A general rule, not necessarily bike related.

16. I like to look into cars, see if they motion to move.
    Generally I find that they move their heads and hands before they indicate ( if they even do indicate )
    As already said, road signs
    If moving at pace (we are on Dooks people) signs do a great job of letting you know about cars entering and leaving our blind spot.

Clean visor

17. Dark visors reduce your vision, I find that a deep visor strip works better, if correctly positioned it will cut out all but the very lowest winter suns, the only downside is you can’t plane spot as you ride along.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I tent to check out their wheels, you can see a car move just an inch if you check out them rotating.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  19. No way Carr, at nearly 70 i dread the state of my underpants if they were white, no not nice.

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. The simple rules of survival on the public roads are to make sure soon as possible that all the vehicles in front of you are transferred to the back of you,then this way you've a decluttered road ahead for fun & games.:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information