1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Safe Riding Tips?

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Mark9, Nov 11, 2019.

1. That’s similar to what I said earlier in the thread about how your observations and hazard assessment should be good enough so that nothing ever happens “suddenly”

2. No, they were following me. I asked the question about how they recommend riding in a group and that’s what the “observer” told me.

3. I suspect he probably meant that, since IAM riders should all be riding to the IPSGA system, they are going to be in a tidy line behind you (and should be at least 2 seconds apart if they are, and riding in echelon if at slower speeds). You can see that on most IAM group rides. It's like a long chain of bikes following a line (but each rider is actually riding for themselves using IPSGA).

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I'm never sure whether that is aimed at car drivers or bikers? Either way it works, well at least it works for me and reminds me we should check our mirrors, frequently, and especially before overtaking or turning - and look back, coz' there's a MASSIVE blind spot there.

5. But the point is the sign shouldn't be saying, "stupid driver check your mirrors before turning"

it should be saying, "stupid biker dont overtake at or through a hazard like a junction!"

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Roundabouts near petrol stations. Slow down and look and smell for diesel spillages, particularly when raining.
    Give a wide berth to BMW's and Toyotas driven by Africans. By far the worst drivers on the roads.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. When riding and the the temperature is close to freezing, beware crossing over bridges, the air circulating underneath the road can cause the bridge road surface to be well below zero and black ice to form. Almost, so very nearly the first time I fell off a motorcycle

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  8. Junction, car, look at the front wheel... You'll see it move before owt else.....

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. When pulling up at a T junction use your back brake if there’s gravel around.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. When swapping lanes, mirror, signal, “lifesaver“ head turn, manoeuvre.
    (“Lifesaver” is where you turn your head to look behind you, it warns other road users your about to do something and allows you to see something potentially missed in your mirrors blind spot).

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Exactly. Wheels can't lie. Car drivers can look you in the eye, nod, smile, then still crash into you.

12. Try one of these. I bought a second hand Moto Guzzi that had one attached to the inside of the screen. It almost totally eliminates blindspots, I find I`m using it more than the side mirrors.
    Google motorcycle blind spot eliminator and they come up on ebay.

[​IMG]

#72 dukesox, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Seen the following happen a couple of times...bike following a van or other high vehicle approaches left hand junction with cars waiting to exit it, high vehicle indicates and turns left, car exiting junction is focused on the high vehicle that just turned left and pulls out not seeing the bike behind it, bike accelerates past recently turned high vehicle and ... it doesnt end well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. When lane splitting, use low gear so revs go up warning drivers that you are approaching from behind..overpacked Termis help too.
    Also one finger over the front brake when splitting.

When in built up areas ride slightly nearer the middle of the road when passing side junctions.

In-fact try not to ride bang centre of the lane..especially after first rain after summer...cars drop oil in the centre of the lane..not where their tyres pass.

Only hoon in the hills!

15. A little mantra I came up with when filtering through busy traffic in town: "When the traffic's packed tight, beware from the right."

This came about because, many years ago when I first started riding again, and I was filtering through rush hour traffic through town, I was shocked how many riders I saw that were getting surprised by cars pulling out of turnings from the right into the flow. Seems a lot of riders are concentrating so hard on where they're going and looking for cars about to pull out from their lane to the right that they're generally less aware of stuff developing from the other side of the road.

16. The point here is that the stupid bike rider has put themselves into the dangerous situation!
    Bike follows van, towards a junction with a stationary vehicle at it, obscures themselves with the high sided van and pulls the pin....

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Plus 1 on the IAM
    Best thing I ever did for riding on the road , IAM was not what I was expecting at all about "make progress" safely now quicker from Ato B , safer , smoother , thinking further ahead no need to rely on on a fist-full to catch up Give it a go , mostclubs do a free test ride
    Google BAM Birmingham based at the NEC

18. it all depends on the conditions and situation , your correct if on a run they will take the "same " line through bends etc on a straight they will stagger to improve the view and run off space ahead
    If your under or giving instruction it varies as the instructor will either show you the correct line and explain why or he will be watching you and positions accordingly , riding in a line can be due to road surface etc or just the most appropriate at the time , there is no hard and fast rule as correctly stated above "each rider is actually riding for themselves"

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Say hello at the next meeting if you're there. I was one of those that was presented with my F1rst certificate at the meetinh this month. Very happy with that :)

I generally can't make it to the FMRs and skills events as I have commitments on weekends, will try to at some point. Have my name down for the Wales Masters weekend in the Spring though.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bumkin "Congratulations" yes I was there, a good night for passes and 2 off 1st I was on the back row L/H side looking forward you may have been the on the same side towards the middle 1-2 rows from the back, hopefully catch up at the next meeting I'll try and wear something Ducati ( gosh that sound odd LOL ) Well Done all the best with your Masters Eddie

Do Not Sell My Personal Information