1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody Done Flat Track?

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Dirty Leeds, Jan 14, 2018.

1. As above, hoping I can book on the Pete boast school tomorrow, anybody tried it?

2. @rcv4 has raced speedway lots and flat track too I think

3. Cool maybe he will give me some pointers although I will go as a complete sponge, hoping Pete is there but he has other instructors, he was racing at the Mallory plum pudding races for bike magazine on a standard bike was stood by him but didn't hastle him for chat, was only when I got home and googled him I saw how flipping talented he is, good facebook page too, seems a decent fella

I see he is from East Yorkshire too so no doubt been to Pete boasts

4. Yeh, Chad is in Hull

5. 25013DDD-9C9F-4D24-B28A-72EBBBCFE0F0.jpeg 5C299A8C-76AE-4788-A8D3-E90A6254DDCD.jpeg 086F3D0A-9FE0-420A-8C03-7DB92FA51898.jpeg We did the Pete Boast flat track school last month. Unfortunately I’d got smashed at the work party the night before and for some strange reason thought it would be a good idea to run 16km home from central London at 0300hrs so wasn’t at my best! The flat track is done in a big barn so it’s pretty small and slow but it’s a lot of fun and well worth the crack. Lots of the racer boys go down there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thank you sounds good...credit for running 16km too lol

7. I have not been to his school,i have been good freinds with him for nearly 20 years,i know people that have been and had a good time,i raced flattrack for some time on a xt500. IMG_34910528528810.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  8. I did it a couple of months ago. A good laugh and fun learning to use the back brake to back it in. It is small and slow, but that is perfect for learning without killing yourself!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Did you do the Pete boast one? What did you use clothing wise? Need to take helmet and gloves, boots? My Mrs booked me on today for birthday present so she might have some more info later

10. Yes. The same one as pictured above. Can’t remember it’s official name.

A lot of guys took old racing leathers and road gear. Personally I took MX gear because it is better for the Riding position and the boots more suitable. Anything that protects you and you don’t mind getting a bit dusty if you fall off (the ground is hard packed mud). I think they also insisted on back protector if memory serves me right?

11. cool I need some gear only got road kit, it's in Lincolnshire I think, get a brew there or need to take food and drink? Thanks for your help

12. You can wear road gear. As long as it gives protection and you’re not upset at the thought of a bit of dirt on it. I’m just saying MX gear is most sensible it you have the choice.

They have tea and water in the barn and they lay on food at the local pub for lunch. I assume those are always the arrangements.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. It's brilliant, did it summer 2016 and was just mega. Boastie is a really good tutor.

BTW, he's running a social night at Cadwell Club house on Friday next week. Worth a run out, Boastie is great fun.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Top tip that I found is do not take the big heavy MX boots as you do not have enough movement or feeling. Ideal ones look to be road boots or trails bike boots from what I could see. I used MX clothing as well, there were a bunch of people in leathers but it's all relatively slow so not a big deal either way. It's cold up beyond the wall just now so take some warmers kit :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I did it in Kevlar jeans, leather jacket, road gloves and boots. Other than getting teased a bit by the tutors for looking like I was dressed for the pub there was no problem. I have never done off-road before so it was my first time and no gear. Was not a problem though, and by the end of the day we were drifting both ends and getting quite competitive against each other.

Pete is a great coach, makes it very enjoyable and he's so laid back. Not much fazed him or the other instructors and as mentioned, lunch is laid on at local pub (my local actually) The Bottle & Glass which is full of TT memorabilia. Usually an ex-race bike on display too. If you're making a trip this way specially then budget for a beer at the Marrowbone & Cleaver in Kirmington as that's Guys pub and his Martek is on display in there at the moment, loads of biking and engineering clutter to look at in there too and the food is nice if you want to get tea.

16. Winter is here.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mega cheers for that, might be the night before I do the school I'll have a look.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information