1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody Fitted A Satnav To A 1200r Yet?

Discussion in 'Monster' started by MonsterGB, Aug 22, 2016.

1. I'm looking for some bright ideas on how to fit a satnav mount to the 1200R, there is little room on the bars, but I know from previous experience that there are several options for RAM ball mounts and extension arms. Am thinking of replacing one of the handlebar clamp bolts with a RAM mount, but not sure if the RAM mount will fit into the recessed clamp.

Anybody tried this yet?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hey MonsterGB

Yeah - I've fitted a RAM mount on my 12R...I'll post some pics later

3. Okay....first pics show the RAM mount in position - had to move the mirror/clutch fluid bracket a few mm to the right (need to touch up the bolts with some black paint)

4th pic shows two USB ports (one has cover on) which are right below the RAM mount and only needs a really short power cable to the SATNAV

Last pic shows a Garmin SATNAV in situ. All in all, works really well. Also have mounted a GoPro with ball attachment there too

IMG_1199.jpg IMG_1200.jpg IMG_1201.jpg IMG_1202.jpg
    IMG_0972.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Off-topic - Why the gap between the bar end and grip on the left-hand bar? Mine is the same. Saw a number of new Ducati's that also had this.

Is there a specific reason?

5. Im guessing, but its to keep the handgrips lined up centrally on the bars. There are 'more controls' on the throttle side, hence there is a gap on the clutch side

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks Ronno, exactly what I needed to see. The dealer told me I couldn't move the mirror mount as it was "pinned" to the bars, but I had not tried it. Now to get some bits ordered!

7. Dealers hey! Great aren't they

8. :tearsofjoy:

9. Job done. Looks good, and works great. Thanks RonO

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

10. Pleasure! Looks good.

Next job is to get the 'beer fridge ' fitted somewhere :tearsofjoy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Fitted and didn't have to move the bracket over, mind you my handlebar ram fit is ancient so may be narrower, also power supply? On my 821 I took it directly from the battery, or is there a more convenient point? I need 12v as I am using an old BMW mount for my BMW Zumo. If it means lifting the tank slightly to pass the wiring under, is there anything I should be aware of unbolting the steering dampner? (First bike with one)

12. Mark

there is a really convenient 'switched' 12v power supply just inside the frame (left hand side) by the steering headstock. I'll take some pics tomorrow hopefully and show you the easy way of getting power - no need to splice or run direct from the battery etc....

#14 3bikemike, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. That sounds perfect. Detailed pics please.
    How is it switched?

14. @Sam1199

Its 'switched' on/off by the ignition key - couldn't be easier. I'll try to upload some pics later

• Like Like x 1
  15. So, here goes......

Below pic shows rubber guard in top part of frame. Notice 2 skinny black cables coming out.... IMG_1263.jpg

Pull back the cover and look for a clear/white connecter (the one in the foreground). There'll be a black blanking plate connected (not shown in pic as I have my 12V converter plugged in)

IMG_1261.jpg

You'll need to buy the following 2 connecters, (which I originally saw in a post from @MotoNik). I'm sure there are others available, but these worked for me

2 Way Female HM Connector
    Sumitomo - 2 Way Female HM Connector - Japanese Electrical Plug - Honda KTM | eBay

Dual Double 2 USB
    New Dual Double 2 USB DC-DC Car Converter Module 12V To 5V 3A 15W Power Adapter | eBay

Connect these together and plug in to connector in frame (carefully with the lightweight metal connectors - they break easy! :Wtf:)

IMG_1262.jpg

Once all connected, turn on you ignition and plug in your hardware to one of the USB ports and make sure everything powers up. If it does, unplug it & then push everything back inside the frame and route your 2 USB sockets up to your mount. I routed the cables around the cables going up to the 'indicator' switch housing. I've got covers for the USB ends to keep the water out (see pics further up in the thread), I left them off just for the pictures.
    IMG_1264.jpg

Simple - easy - convenient - & best of all pretty cheap. I can power up my SATNAV and my iPhone at the same time. Blimey, its like being in my car:)

#17 3bikemike, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Thanks for that, ordered the plug, don't need the USB part as cradle requires 12v, will not work with 5v, learnt the hard way ;) any idea of the fuse size on that socket?

17. Umm, no :Sorry: - no idea on the fuse rating for the socket

18. Okay, all done, many thanks for that, I bought a waterproof connector for the cradle to wire too, well a pack of two so I can insert the spare blank when the cradle isn't fitted and waterproof the socket.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information