1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Fitted Their Own Tyres At Home?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by comfysofa, May 28, 2016.

1. Reason I ask is that I've got 3 bikes now (lovely)! And on top of that a mate gave me a load of part worn tyres and I was planning on going through them which means more frequent tyre changes and in turn more cost to get them changed each time...

I found a wheel balancing thing that goes onto a paddock stand

A pair of tyre levers (in the US but they're a custom pair for breaking the bead and also refitting...) can't find them over here.

Weights and rim guards for getting the tyres on and off...

Watched a you tube video but thought I'll probably end up buying the tools and then find out "it's not as easy as I thought!"

Anyone?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

2. I do mine. Set of levers, wooden home made bead breaker and wooden home made balancer. I did buy the rim protectors though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. yip. i often do mine. bit scary but no damage yet.

4. Easy to break the bead? The other thing was once I've got the tyre back on I was going to run them down to the local petrol station to inflate them.... I was guessing that's enough pressure to inflate them...

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

5. Yes, the hardest bit is getting the tyre off and on

Pnly done track wheels to date, road bike goes to the shop for tyres and I pay the extra

6. Hmmm... Ok... Thanks for the input bladders...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

7. Tyre soap really helps, makes the tyre slip a lot easir, and keep tyres in a warm environment for an hour or two helps as well

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Guy in portimao had one, wondered where to get one as he was changing tyres quicker than the guy with the machine, thx for the link :)

9. I recently started doing my own.
    I have found the cable tie method the easiest and least risk of rim damage.You still need to break the bead of course.

10. Get one of those tools above, it takes seconds once the tyre is a third off the rim

11. They do look good :) Will also need a new holder jobbie though with the pole in the middle.

12. Interesting link... Not seen that before! On this occasion I'll get the rear done (as it was knackered and had a slow puncture) but I'll order the tools so next time I can do it without the pressure....

13. Keep the comments and link coming... Very handy...

14. There's loads of rednecks on you tube doing it this way.
    Even if you use a different method to remove it, putting the new tyre on this way is so easy it's laughable.

15. The whole process is a lot easier on a warm day.
    Leave the tyre / wheel out in the sun (if poss) for a bit first.

16. Yeah I did see that but though investment in some decent tool would pay dividends in other ways...

17. The reason I like it is there's no metal on metal contact. That long tool (fannarrr) looks good though.

18. I'd like to see that in use but the yt vid doesn't work...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information