1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Fitted Their Own Tyres At Home?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by comfysofa, May 28, 2016.

1. Exactly - and easy to remove too once the tyre is on the rim - impossible to thread in to remove tyres though :)

2. Nice one , thanks Exige
    Be on it tomorrow :upyeah:

3. Never tried the tape or ties, will have a go next time.
    Steve

4. Even a cheap home compressor will blow the bead out IME. Surprised you dont have a compressor tho, really useful for drying bikes, cleaning brakes etc

5. Yes, it's on the shopping list for sure! Been contemplating for ages but never got round to buying one...

6. £100 I think one cost from machine mart on a vat free weekend.

7. So no problem getting the tape off the tyre then?
    Presumably trickiest bit is getting the tape off where it's touching the rim, given that the tape touches nothing in the void between the tyre beads?

8. No shit Sherlock :D

Looks far too fuckaboutery to me. I'd be crapping myself with the BST's....

9. No, the tyre isn't seated so you just squeeze and pull the tape out - not an issue at all, out in seconds. Some tyres may prove trickier depending on stiffness I guess but these Supercorsa's were easy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I haven't tried tying or taping but thanks for the insight. I might give it a try next time.

11. Cable ties do distort the tyre, but it's easily bounced back into shape. If you have a tricky one just fit a rim protector and using a tyre lever pick the tyre back towards the rim before trying to inflate.
    I use a small emergency 12v compressor to inflate mine. Usually pop at ~40psi.
    I'll give the tape a go next time...:upyeah:

12. Did you end up doing yours @comfysofa ? If so did you find it hard?

My new tyres have just turned up, and it would be a hell of a lot easier if i could do it myself. From reading the above i'll try the gaffer tape and cable tie method i think

13. No - i didnt - didnt have anywhere to store the bead breaker....not much room left in my garage!

14. I've replaced my Vespa tyres at home for years and these are more difficult than a 17" wheel being only 12" with a lot less give.

Bead breaker, tyre levers, rim protectors and a home compressor.......Job jobbed. :upyeah: I put a new pair of boots on only last week.

IMG_7731.JPG

15. I chucked this together in about 8 minutes, stores as it looks like it should IMAG0106.jpg , was basically free scraps of wood and worked in a very cold garage (did put the tyre warmers on for a bit first).

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. My issue was gettinng the super stiff tyres, over the rim. I've now two chips in my wheel paint Ended up paying £20 to the local tyre place

17. How did you chip them, what method did you use :thinkingface:

18. Don't understand any of you guys. You don't own a feckin old field bike you own a Italian stallion. So go to the bike tyre dealer & pay for it doing right. El Toro I am not advertising here but my daughter is part of Bike tyres Leeds in Scholes. There tyre machines & balancing equipment costs thousands of pounds to safely fit tyres to motorcycles & balance them without scratching the rims & making your machines safe. Some of you think you can just screw a piece of wood to the wall & be a pro. You are stupid. What is the most important thing about a motorcycle. You & the road. What is in between it. A set of tyres. What do you value the most. The paintwork & your life. So go ahead & buy some tyres from a spurious outlet that are probably sub standard seconds out of balance. Scratch holy shit out of your rims fitting them. Spend a few quid on touch up paint. Save what about 30 to 60 quid by DIY. Your crazy. Reply with lots of derogatory comments but I know you are daft doing this. I have all the facilities at home to do this job including a large compressor for my paint jobs but tyres. Leave it to the pro's. Stat.

19. eeeeeeeeeerrrrr no, not 'stat'.
    I've had way more damage done to my wheels by the pros. It's not difficult or complicated to do it yourself.

20. Rim protectors and the pair of motion Pro bead breaker/tyre irons. It just tore right through the protectors.

I will say though, the guy said they were the stiffest tyres he'd ever done as he had trouble with his machine (Pirelli Angel)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information