1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Fitted Their Own Tyres At Home?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by comfysofa, May 28, 2016.

1. I'm learning on my track bike. Won't be going near the 996/999 wheels for a bit.

2. Cannot remember the name of the tyre machines they use but they have nylon rim grips & the tyre levers are all plastic/nylon covered. The balancer is a digital fancy thing.

3. I guess a lot depends on the design/dimensions of the particular wheel in question and the stiffness of the tyre.
    But on both my original, 3 spoke monster wheels and their Dymag carbon replacements, I have fitted Michelin pilot roads of various types and have not needed more than a pair of 3 inch plastic bicycle tyre levers to get them on the rims (using the cable tie method).
    Tbh, I could have managed using just my thumbs but the little levers made it easier.

For me, it was the carbon wheels that dictated that I change my own tyres. There is no way I'm letting anyone with a big tyre lever anywhere near those.

On breaking the bead .. at first I used a diy system much like the "shed wall" arrangements that others have pictured (I particularly like the one with the hinged "pusher" fixed to the lever, btw).
    But on recommendation, I bought an Abba bead breaker and I'm well pleased with it, on three counts.
    1) It works very well and eliminates the chance of slipping with the lever.
    2) It was relatively cheap.
    3) It is much smaller and simpler than most types I've seen and is therefore relatively simple to store in an already crowded shed (they're all crowded sooner or later).

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Did mine for years when I had dirt bikes. Never bothered with balancing them.

Assuming higher speeds in a race bike would require balancing.

Its easy enough, just take your time and make sure its off the bead before you do anything

5. Same method here! :upyeah:

6. Ok here we go....first ive got one of these....
    download.jpg
    To break the beads. Then these to get the tyre off...ive got more levers than i need as i dont think 2 is enough...sometimes ive used up to 4 but it just makes the job easier...
    20200908_225824.jpg

Again most people use 2 but i put 4 in as you never know where youre going to need to put a lever in to get the tyre off...
    20200908_225836.jpg
    At the point i break the beads i wipe a thin amount of WD40 round the bead so the levers slide in easily and, the tyre comes off easily....ive got these paddock stand mounts for wheel balancing along with weights but, i did order a roll of 3m tape and up til now ive been using the same weights and just putting new tape on them...
    20200908_225834.jpg
    This one thing made the whole job easier....when you break the bead on the tyre and are getting the tyre off on the opposite side of where youre going to put the levers in, make sure the bead of the tyre is located in the middle of the wheel - this means youll get more play on the opposite end where your getting the tyre in (makes everything way easier) same goes when putting the new tyre on....finally this to inflate the tyre...got it at Aldi on the special buys - 50 quid. A bit noisy but you only need it on for a few mins....its got the legs to push out a 200 section tyre so 50 quid and very small it was a fucking bargain...
    20200908_225844.jpg

Oh forgot to put it in...this is the balancing bar which goes through the wheel and rests on the bearings that in turn go on a paddock stand....word of warning the 2 bearing balancing things didnt fit either of my paddock stand but, by lucky hap, ive got an articulated front paddock stand that goes in the yokes...they fitted in the bottom half....
    20200908_225841.jpg
    And thats my setup. Ive got it down to about 20mins for a tyre now...every time i change my own i save some money...

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Have one of these

Along with their balancer and cone set for single sided swing arm Ducatis. Works very well.

It's a long term investment in self sufficiency. Changed 4 sets so far saving around £100 from the tyre place in Hereford that I used to get to do it. However, it's not only the cost but tended to be weekdays only with a wait for an hour plus about an hour of driving. 2 hours out of my working day isn't an issue unless I'm busy, which I invariably am before going away for a couple of weeks (should learn from solicitors that just bugger off without telling their clients... :rolleyes:, don't get me started). Added to which I wind up with tyres with life remaining that I've swapped out before a tour that could go back on but previously wound up at the dump. These can easily be put back on to get full mileage, so I'm doing my bit for the planet, and my wallet, too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. As above, I got peed off with going across town, only to be told 'can you leave 'em mate'.

9. Probably for another thread but re the self sufficiency which im all for...ill just about to pull the plug on some guages so i can balance my own throttle bodies...

10. Have some Carbtunes for that, never been that convinced as to how good/accurate they are though.

11. gonna get the digital ones from Healtech...

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information