1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone For Cricket!?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Mary Hinge, Dec 28, 2021.

1. Just take them as I find them pal

• Like Like x 1
  2. Not sure why it's lazy to say they're not sports, and I think I've explained my rationale.

Do cricketers or golf players ever even break into a sweat? ...now that's lazy ;)

3. Anything you stand a good chance of being killed doing is a sport. Everything else is just playing a game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sport is where competitors compete against one another, so even chess is a sport.
    We all have our own definitions, a guy at work thought car/bike racing a waste of time and boring to watch yet would sit for hours to watch golf??? Couldn’t think of anything more boring to watch then golf myself but to each his own

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. There was a cricketer killed s few years back. So while not as dangerous as motorsport, there is still risk involved

6. By that definition, a lively debate amongst forum members trying to win an argument over whether cricket and golf are sports, is a sport. What you describe is a 'competition', the clue being the phrase, "competitors compete" ;)

Besides being immensely dull, cricket and golf are ball games / pastimes, but not sports.

At some point early in the pandemic, while doctors and nurses were saving lives without sufficient PPE, a BBC 'Sports' correspondent talked about the English cricket team 'playing heroically', that got me annoyed. Being the BBC cricket or golf correspondent is second only to being the royal respondent in terms of cushiest job in the world.

7. Sorry to hear that, did they choke on a cucumber sandwich while play was "stopped for tea"?

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Your logic makes no sense, any physical activity that involves an element of competition is a sport. Personally, I thinkDarts & snooker is pushing it but it could also be argued. However I suspect its pointless to engage any further, so I bid you a happy new year!

9. What would you call athletics? Sprinting? Shot putt?

Have you seen 90% of golf and cricket pro players? And have you seen 90% of pub football players?!

10. No, he was hit on the head with the ball

11. I'd be interested to see you in the nets, facing a ball coming at you at 90+ mph.what would make something a sport according to you

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. B67E9919-FE6C-49F1-8201-6B41A7F3F785.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Skydiving a sport? How about climbing trees?

14. He was probably a twunt but never mind....
    P.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. so for it to be defined as sport in chez snips you have to have a risk of death involved?
    You know the Roman times ended about 1500 years ago right? :joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Let’s face it people who don’t like sport are usually shit at it, it’s why I hate rugby, it’s cold, wet and you have 18 stone Neanderthals trying to stamp on your head and bollocks. Not for me.

17. I love sports, rugby included and played it for many years.

But rugby is a sport :p

• Agree Agree x 1

18. Ha you don’t have to convince me, even snooker is a sport in my books!

My main beef with rugby (or why I never watch it) is actually when the game finishes and the *ahem additional sports begin at the bar.
    Just never been my kind of thing.

19. I never got in to the heavy drinking bit massively. I enjoyed the sport for the sport. (And the birds).

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Not necessarily, but it helps, and not all activities that involve the risk of death are sports, so Russian roulette isn't a sport in chez snips, for instance, and neither is playing golf during a lightning storm ;)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information