1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Had A 1299 And A 1098s/1198s?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Luke_J, Jun 30, 2022.

1. I had reg,rec problem on the 1098, no big deal. 2 of the 1198 were no problem, but one had starting issues

• Like Like x 1
  2. My sprag did go at 17k, but it took me a couple of hours and £362 inc vat to change it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sprags and RR's are almost considered consumables for xx98s :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Only fault in 12 years and 17000 miles has been the immobiliser ring thing around the ignition failed

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yes. Loz' articles and videos usually brig a smile too the face. I think I saw the S1000RR one - where he nearly collected a truck, and sang the praises of cruise control on a sports bike?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I think the point is Luke, it’s what you touched upon earlier, it’s a real riding experience.
    Apart from an 11 year break while my kids were young I’ve ridden sports bikes all my life. Jumping straight back onto a 1098S might not have been the wisest decision but like I say, what a ride. The SS is an absolute pussycat by comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I’m impressed with that power figure from bikes that are 10+ years old now.

Thanks to all for your comments, I’m settled I need to own one of these now!!

Looking about the choice is limited for the price range. Given the option what would be money better spent, base 1198 or 1098S? I really REALLY like gold forks…

8. I got a graph to prove it too, somewhere...

Base. the ohlins on the S are only customer ones and not that great by all accounts. Save the money and get the forks and shock set up.

If I could do it again, I'd buy the 1299 base too. The elec forks arent that great imo. If I set it to harder, the bike is too firm. On default, it squirms a bit. I think id prefer them to be manual.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yeah go with the gold. This was mine at the Lakes a couple of years back.

6157B2E3-465B-4A98-AA58-66FD5AE6C63F.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  10. Meh, its missing 100cc's. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. I think you've answered your own question there! I'd stretch for the 1198 though. Also, as @bootsam says, the Ohlins forks on the S models are mainly bling; the Showas can be made as good/better for a modest amount. I don't know where you're located, but MCT near Stowmarket (in Suffolk) are pretty good at that sort of thing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I haven't owned an 1198 base or an S, but I did own and ride an 1198 SP which was the last sports performance version Ducati produced before the Panigale arrived.
    The 1198 SP has a Trellis frame, Ohlins suspension front and rear, DTC, DQS, DDA, Brembo Monobloc brakes, Marchesini forged wheels, slipper clutch, special lightweight exhaust, and a larger aluminium tank (about 18 litres).
    In my opinion, the bike rode well, but with 170bHP needed careful handling. To get the best out of the bike, the suspension benefited from being properly set-up, including sag settings for the main rider. The aluminium tank removed the problem of tank swelling, and gave the bike a little more range; but still not great depending on throttle use.
    A lot of these enhancements are not essential and other versions will already have plenty of engine power and torque for road use, and I'm sure upgrades could be added retrospectively if desired. An Oberon clutch slave cylinder improved the operation of the clutch significantly.
    I found the riding position to be more extended than on a Panigale, and it could be quite tiring on longer rides.
    However, it was the last of the Trellis frame Ducatis, is probably one of the best looking bikes they have produced and I enjoyed owning it. I probably should have kept it, but needed the space for a second generation Panigale R.
    The Mk2 Panigale R has many similarities to the 1299's, and is a great looking bike with a slightly less extreme riding position, which makes it a bit easier to ride than the 1198, but still in a "sports" position. It definitely does not like going slow, and use in traffic can be uncomfortable especially from the heat coming off the exhaust and warming-up the rider. It's really a race bike with lights, and consequently works best when ridden fast, so staying aware and keeping an eye on the speedometer is recommended, but this really applies to the 1198 as well!
    I hope this is of interest, and good luck with your search.
    Tom.

• Like Like x 3
  13. I've really enjoyed my 1098, I am considering selling it now though :thinkingface:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Guys thank you all so much for your comments. My multi has now sold and I’m in the enviable position of looking at both a low mileage 1198 and 1098S and really struggling to choose however I don’t think could ever be disappointed with either one.

15. FWIW I’d favour the S

Folk on here are right that the Ohlins is bling, but in respect of resale, I think it will do better.

Looking forward to seeing what you buy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. GLWS(earch)! You know you really want the 1198...

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. I favour the 1198. Those extra 100cc's are worth it.

18. I think the 1098 had a weaker crank?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Brought to you by Sev, resident hater of 1x98 and single sided swing arms

• Funny Funny x 4
  20. I have a 1098s and though I would slightly prefer the look of a Pani, they are a cracking bike to ride. I found very much the same grunty feeling as a Demoquattro, which was somehow lost on the early Testastretta. Butt clenching in wet, definitely.
    I have not tried the Pani, and I am led to believe that they go more in the revs.
    The 1098s are rock bottom in value and are probably one of the best bike money can buy at the moment. I am surely hanging on to mine.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information