1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Had A 1299 And A 1098s/1198s?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Luke_J, Jun 30, 2022.

1. I recently sold my 1098s and bought a 1299s so I'm doing it the other way around so to speak. The 1098 is drop dead gorgeous and sounds sublime (mine had a full 70 mm Termi system with slash-cut pipes). Be prepared for some 'character' issues but then again, it's a Ducati. If you go ahead, you'll love it. Mine was red BTW ;)!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hi Luke.

I'm after a Multi but need to sell my 1098S first. Got all the bells n whistles. Wanna swap ?

Rich.

E9402EA2-C502-48FA-9930-770E134697F5.jpeg 167589F4-B251-4036-90B7-6CF49CFE0C44.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  3. I think you’re doing it the right way I’m just backwards!! My 1299 had no issues in 3 years of ownership and 10k miles! Thanks man.

4. Hi Rich, unfortunately the bike has now sold otherwise I would have been interested in potentially doing a deal. Absolutely stunning bike.

5. Thanks Luke. i must say that the 1299s is in a different universe in engine power, braking and electrics etc etc but every time I went into the garage and looked at the 1098s, I fell in love all over again. Good luck - hope you find a nice one. My advice: Try to find one that hasn't been interfered with too much ;).

• Like Like x 1
  6. This^^
    Same with my 959 - amazing bike, but 1098 every time

• Like Like x 1
  7. 1198 is prettier than a panigale. Esp from a side elevation. The 1198 has a hint of 916 about it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rgr that Luke.

Well, PM me if you'd like details of mine should you like to use your excess Wotsits.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The 999 is overrated.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. "Varese"???

11. Better to ride, than to try to flog a dead one

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Oh, I see. I think!

13. Ive also got a 916

14. Cagiva

15. Got to be worth having a chat Luke?

• Like Like x 2
  16. has anyone mentioned varese?

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Hi Luke,

I have been in your shoes.

I had a 1098S and a 1198S, sold them got a 1299S and a V4S. Thought I missed the 1198S and would tell anyone how it was the last "proper Ducati" trellis frame, loads of torque etc, characterful, dry clutch etc etc ( mine has 70mm system etc ) and better value as 1198S have bottomed out value wise and likely to increase. So I bought a 1198S, as soon as I rode it again I realised I was taking a step back and nostalgia was playing a part. I just wanted a 1299S but didn't want to spend not far off a V4 for one, and my purse strings were persuading me otherwise.

Btw, I bought, swapped, bought back 4 times my 1299S in the meantime, trying to convince myself a adventure bike would be more useable, its too expensive etc etc etc, but I still lusted after a 1299S instead of anything else.

The 1198s / 1098s are great bikes, but they are a bit more plastic-y than the 1299S or the models before them. When you are in the mood they make you feel like nothing else, but....

As you can guess, I sold the 1198S two week after getting it, dug deep ( then forgot it quickly ) and got what I always wanted a 1299S with full akrapovic system etc, and I paid more than I sold my last 1299S for, but I am happier and have no regrets. Regards low down grunt, my 1299S in race mode has definitely more grunt than anything else I have ridden no doubt, it is beautiful, handles better than anything I have ridden, and I realised I was convincing myself the 1198 was better. I still have a couple other Ducatis ( 996S, 998, 848 se corse etc - collected over the years ) but the 1299S is definitely the best looking and the one that makes my heart beat when I see it in the shed and the one I want to ride most. It easier to ride most of the time and definitely in any weather over the 1198 and finally you don't have to worry about belts etc.

And regards the V4S, the 1299S is prettier, not as fat and a twin ( which I am still hanging on to lol ) and some how makes me feel more special. I am not selling my 1299S, or my 996S/998 but that's a different kettle of fish, and classic beauty. In fact the only one I think I might sell is my 848 evo corse se, but not at the minute, as I would probably regret that too.

So... if you wanted a 1299 in the first place but they have increased in value, so are now looking at a 1198 / 1098. I would say hang fire, set your budget for a 1299 and wait till one comes up, or just spend more and forget about it, because I think you will regret getting your second choice, and will one day end up with a 1299 again ;-) But if you really want a 1098 or 1198, then without doubt get a 1198, I would go late 2010 red frame S ( as the gold frame finish isn't great )

I have probably gone of topic so sorry, but hope this helps some way. Its only my opinion and people will disagree, I probably would disagree with myself lol depending on what day it is and how I feel.... I couldn't rule out I will never have another 1198S either ;-)

#57 Dr.D, Jul 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  18. It’s great to know some one else has gone through the same debates as I have going backwards and forwards so thank you for your advice. I really enjoyed my 1299 but am looking forward to something else as had mine 3 years and done quite a lot of miles on it. I’d love to have a v4 having rode a few of them they are phenomenal and totally different from the twins we know and love. Ultimately you are absolutely right it probably would be worth holding out or paying more for the v4 but it come down to my budget thinking that I’d rather own an 1098s/1198 than partially own a v4 and still be paying £250+ a month.

Feedback from everyone who has owned a 1*98 has not regret their decision so I’m holding on to that! Shall keep y’all posted!!

19. Thank you all for your advice on this thread, there were a few beautiful 1098S’s but in the end it was a low mileage base 1198 that came home with me. Having been out today really does have so much character, and certainly need to be mindful with all that torque and bhp with no TCS ABS or DWC safety nets!

CBC11E0C-313E-47AA-8533-0E9B8B598665.jpeg

• Like Like x 12
  20. Fab result Luke. Lovely bike mate.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information