1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Modified An Ohlins Preload Nut?

Discussion in 'Suspension help' started by spears, Jun 1, 2020.

1. I've recently replaced the sachs unit on my 848 with a du511 from a 1098, seems that the spring should be right for my weight.
    However the design of the preload nut means it jams on the shock before I can wind enough out, meaning the sag is basically nill.
    A bit of research suggests this was a common problem and that the answer is either to have the nut machined or replace it with a different preload adjuster.
    So has anybody tried just filing the corners off the preload adjuster? The c spanner has left a bit of a mark in it so it presumably isn't the hardest metal ever. If so do you have any tips or is it just a case of stubbornness and a decent file.

As a bonus question for anybody that has had this done properly how much sag did you gain? I'm concerned that this might still be a fools errand and that I really need a softer spring.

2. The spring rate might be ok but what about it's free length?

3. I have it’s a collar on a flat needle bearing. From the suspension people in York
    Forget the name tho 5F0585A4-EFAA-4E3B-AA99-DC49FD49657A.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Reactive suspension is the name

5. Thanks very much for that, did it make much difference or did you get it done at the same time as other changes?

6. I got it just to make adjustments easy, fitted myself when I got a softer spring
    I works a treat. Still need a softer spring or to eat more pie’s

7. Do you have an adjustable ride height rod too?

8. oh and someone else is irrelevant...... it needs to be set up for you properly or not bother really...

9. Yes.
    Thanks for the advice, i'm not opposed to having it setup for me, I had the previous shock setup but there was no way it was ever going to be right with the standard spring.
    It's more that I dont want to pay for an aftermarket adjuster fitting just to find that the extra adjustment still doesn't give me the sag that i'm after.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information