1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Seen Anything Like This Before ? Help!

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Advikaz, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Hi all, took the 12 out today for its second ever ride. Unfortunately again it was mainly carriageways.

Anyway when I got back I noticed a few pretty deep slice/cracks in the tyre in the edge. Weird because as you can see my chicken strips are still rather meaty and this cracks aren't on the bit that's been used.

Can't really see in the pics but around these slices there's ripples and deformation.. any thoughts? I can't see how anything will have done this so wondering if it's a defect?

Also my r/h mirror keeps coming loose which is annoying! Not just slightly loose either.

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1465.JPG

• WTF WTF x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. I would say that something had cut them, but as they are in multiple places, do you have a faulty tyre that has split. Whatever it is, it isn't good. :Nailbiting:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. The cuts are properly deep ! I really can't work out how it's become like that if it's not a defect !

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. It will be interesting to see the inside of the tyre when you have it changed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. I've sent over images to the dealer to see what they say..

I've got a few niggles that need looking at anyway, like the mirror coming loose every 5 minutes and the chain looking like it was OE fitment on the bismarck

6. The silver chains do dust if you don't keep them well lubed. Mine has done about 7k5 miles now and the chain still looks good, but I learned the lesson the hard way with an earlier bike that had a silver chain. I rode it in the winter and thought that I was doing a good job keeping it good, but the constantly changing temperatures and humidity that we get in winter means that condensation soon find those side links that are unprotected. I always choose a gold chain (I like Tsubakis) when it comes the time to change the chain, because the side plates are not bare steel.
    When you say the mirror keeps coming loose, do you mean the mirror is loose in the housing, or the housing is loose where it mounts to the fairing? Either way it should be covered under warranty. I had one of the very early 1098 bikes, and both mirrors were changed under warranty because the indicator lenses kept popping out. I have had no such issues on my 1299.
    That tyre - I have never seen anything like that. I wouldn't be riding it any distance or at any speed until it was changed. Get it changed ASAP, your dealer will probably have to send it back to Pirelli for them to examine.

7. I might sound a little paranoid but that looks like a deliberate act. Have you left the bike unattended for any period of time, however short ? Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. It's never been on its own ! I thought the same to be fair...

@razz it keeps coming loose where it's mounted

9. This may be a silly question but can you not remove the mirror mount bolts and apply locktite?

10. I had the chain changed before the bike was even pdi'd, learnt from my first pani the stock chain is shite.
    Went for a renthal, one year on and not a spot of rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I could but the dealer think there's something wrong with the mount

12. Looks like it could be the result of broken glass, whatever the cause, go steady and get it changed asap

13. I agree. Looks cut maliciously or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Some serious Chicken strips there :Shamefullyembarrased:

....yep seen that before when I was out riding with @chizel:Angelic:

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. :Hilarious::Finger::Chicken::Chicken:

16. Oh yes :tearsofjoy:

17. Yeah, looking at them again, I doubt they have spit, they do look to have been cut.

How close are they to each other? They also look to be on the RHS of the tyre, which would be the most accessible if the bike was on it's side stand. Worrying.

18. They are on the r/h side, I'm wondering if it's glass because there does look to be further marks on the tyre.... could have ridden through a flat bit then flicked up? Would explain the spread of damage if it was glass too?

The slices are a fair distance apart ..

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

19. Cats eyes that..seen it before, soft rubber, rough cats eyes, cuts...

20. You might be on to something ! Thanks for your input mate!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information