1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Using Sprint Filters?

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Yam365, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Has anyone used or using one and is the extra air flow coming at a cost of less filtering?

2. Yes and no. Been using Sprint filters since my local race team started using them. No issues on my 1098R or my Multistrada at all. Andy

3. They’re good filters. But ultimately filters don’t make much if any difference.

I wouldn’t use anything other than oem for the road. More flow does come with natural cons

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yes for both the Panigale and the Monster which had the fuel re-mapped.
    No for the Multistrada.
    Sprint filters are the best in the after-market realm.
    K&N (or any that require oiling) are the worst for a modern computerized fuel injected bike.
    Sprint Pros:
    They are even slightly better for capturing dirt than the OEM with slightly better flow as they increase the surface area.
    They are cleanable with compressed air.​
    Sprint Cons:
    They're expensive.​

5. When you say they’re the best. I back to back dyno’d tested (easily over 12 runs on the sprint) sprint on my race bike against mwr and whilst neither made much of a difference, the mwr was clearly better. Weird thing to do I know. But I was down on power at the time and we were experimenting. The filters made fuck all difference. But the mwr WAS the best of the bunch. Stacks, the system diameter and the ignition was where the power was found.

I actually lost power on the filters until I changed the velocity stacks. To get anything out of them you need the whole ‘Shabang’. And even then you’re talking maybe 1horse at a push.

We spent three days + dicking about on that dyno with my friend who built the bike and used to run a satalite factory Honda outfit.

One of the most surprising power gains was truly ... surprising. Oil. Seriously. 10/40 lost 3+bhp over 0/40. Baring in mind people pay £1000’s for that kind of gain. That’s what the wss engines run on but I never felt comfortable with running it despite knowing people who’ve run it all season long.

#5 Advikaz, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  6. @Advikaz
    You misinterpreted what I meant by "best". I was referring to the filtering efficiency @80µm, not the performance.
    You won't feel any filter difference whichever you choose unless it's a dedicated racing filter which is a different ball game.
    Then you're likely sacrificing filtering efficiency.
    The only thing you may find with some filters is an increase in noise.

Moreover, the dyno wont show all the improvement as it does not take into consideration the ram-air effect at speed.

About your oil comment: +1 I agree.
    Brock Davidson is one of America's finest tuners and uses 0~20 although not by itself.
    He combines it with "Petron Plus" additive as insurance which raises the viscosity to about 10.

Here's what he has to say about Sprint filters starting around the 5:00 mark:

#6 DarR, Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  7. OEM design is to still allow required airflow at the end of the service interval. They have built in redundant capacity. The intake flow through an OEM filter is never the limiting factor. They are developed in conjunction with the filter manufacturer to provide the cleanest air for the longest time. Only when you tune the engine way past standard will there be any performance improvement gained by changing filters. Most noticed on Turbo engines that have significantly improved performance.
    Some manufacturers will void power train warranty if the filter is found to have been changed.
    In many cases going non OEM will increase intake noise which makes it sound as though it's quicker.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sprint filter, Upmap & Termi silencers on me 899.
    No seagulls found in my air box so far:upyeah:
    (I live by the sea).

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information