1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache.....

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Andy800, Feb 13, 2019.

1. This was down the fuselage of a Lanc in a Perth Australia

IMG_2610.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Get Apaches everyday over here - and Opsreys quite often.

My old man was ground crew on Lancs and my uncle was both flight engineer or navigator in Ghost Squadron.

• Like Like x 3
  3. We aren’t far from leeming so often see them doing runs on the ranges up here.
    The Tornado squadron are doing a fly past Leeming on the 19th for the last time so will keep an eye out for that.

F1626481-C4F3-4939-8243-4FE258E815F7.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  4. Do you have any old photo’s you’d be willing to share :)

5. Apaches ? We’ve loads of Cowboys round here.. Roofers builders car mechanics etc etc...

RAF Wattishan is near so we get Apachues daily really..
    USAF lakenheath is a few miles always so we get Eagles etc from there and USAF Bentwaters now de comm used to be great for flying displays each year.. Plus RAF Mildenhall had the best displays out there until they stopped it when we went to Iraq etc.. Shame.. remember seeing the Blackbird fly in and out of there with pilots in spacesuits..
    then an hour away there was Alconbury which had the U2 flying out of there, surprising how often saw them doing practice take offs landings etc .. x

• Like Like x 3
  6. Had the two Lancs at Dawlish airshow a couple of years back.
    They flew really close to the cliffs at eye level. What an experience to hear those 8 Merlins plus those of the Hurricane and Spitfire all at once. Magical...

• Like Like x 1
  7. We often get Chinooks around here because of Lympstone commando training.
    I never tire of the instantly recognisable distinctive beat from those overlapping twin rotors.
    Not sure If can do any better but I'm not sure that wop, wop, wop quite describes it because it's more offbeat than that.
    Wop a wop maybe?

• Like Like x 1
  8. I have vague memories of driving on the old A23 northbound, and as I approached Gatwick airport saw a London bus dangling from a Chinook Helicopter a few hundred feet in the air.
    This was possibly 40-45 years ago, so I could have hallucinated this image.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Our office is right by Victoria Park in London.

They use the park as landing practice for Chinooks and they shake the office, flying very low overhead.

Someone else's video but...

• Like Like x 2
  11. Some amazing helicopter pilots out there

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yes, saw that a few weeks back. Looks well dodgy with the rotor tips pretty much in the snow...

13. Haven’t been to a proper air show since I was a lad and I think it was a freeby show over the estuary in Cornwall, putting that right this year and doing the Royal International Air Tattoo In July in style :)

14. I was chugging along near Colchester yesterday and 3 chinooks came thudding over, sounded awsome, think the airborne soldiers are Colchester based

• Like Like x 2
  15. I’m near Middle Wallop so get Apaches overhead most days. It’s interesting when you see them fully loaded as there’s usually something in the papers a few days later.
    It’s the Chinooks from Odiham that amuse me. I’ve had a few of them shadowing me along the M3 and A303. It makes it feel like your motor’s rough and about to blow up, then you clock them above you. It’s like they do it on purpose.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information