1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Approaching A Year With A V4s

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by MVF4ORO, Jan 13, 2019.

1. The only superbike I've not heard with any problems is the new gsxr but then I don't think it's as technical as the others. To much tech = to much to go wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. True, it's barely run in (and I didn't really bother with that bit btw), but from what I can gather, owners with problem bikes have pretty much flagged up the issues immediately. Like within the first couple of hundred miles. It's as if some weren't finished off on the production line. Like they got the engine right and ran out of time putting the rest together :)

3. I thought Fukashima was ironic. Fish eating raw Japanese.... :p

4. There were a few catastrophic engine failures when the 1199 was launched. I remember a few pictures in magazines of holed crank cases :astonished:

5. rear hub bearing on a v4 is the same process as pretty much all SSSA ducatis ever... and failure id say more than likely down to over tightening of pinch bolts...

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. I loved the V4S I took out last year, but the reports of quality issues have put me off so much that it’s not even a consideration. If I did bite the bullet it seems I would also need a second bike for actually riding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. On a side note, despite feeling a bit cheap, they are very very good bikes those new gsxr’s!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks for the replies. I'll reply to a few points raised.
    Really thought Audi influence would have affected the way Ducati act, particularly after Dieselgate. Clearly Ducati wanted to launch in Nov 17 whether the bike was properly tested or not as they did not want to wait till Nov 18. The bike clearly has had too little road testing.
    UK consumer law was very effectively watered down by the motor industry so I basically had no real legal right of return. We have more rights to return a £25 kettle than a £25k vehicle. Through all this my dealer has been great. I actually pity them as with the number of V4's sold, the strain they have put on workshops and consequently other customers has been huge. None of this is their fault. They can only do their best with what Ducati supply them. Whether to replace the bike is a difficult one. I lashed out on Carbon Wheels which improve looks and handling, and are dead easy to keep clean. Suspect I would loose a packet on them as well as the bike. Have loved V4's since owing an RC30. How I regret having to sell that when the tax man came knocking!!
    If Honda released a V4 production bike, yup I would probably have it. The RSVrf was superb, trouble was my nearest local (35 miles away) dealer went under and there is no sign of a replacement. I am not working with the next nearest dealer when they 70 miles away. That's why I sold it.
    I would advise everyone to check the rear hub bearing nut tightness. Mine had not unwound to come loose, something has gone wrong within the hub to make the whole assembly loose, could be catastrophic! I might start a suspension thread to see what others are doing with it. On 7 bikes I have checked both front and rear static sag have been miles out (all by different amounts) and even when they are factory correct it seems the damping is way out on all the standard settings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. IME Audi have worsened things, not made them better. Less able to work on; more difficult to do simple tasks; over-engineered for the sake of it; finish gets worse and worse

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. My guess is the main influence Audi has is financial... and they have left everything else to Ducati... but that is a guess only...

• Like Like x 1
  11. A wiser man than me once said "they used to be designed by engineers, now they are designed by accounts".

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. "I would advise everyone to check the rear hub bearing nut tightness. Mine had not unwound to come loose, something has gone wrong within the hub to make the whole assembly loose, could be catastrophic!"

Which rear hub bearing nut tightness?

13. Welcome to the forum. :)

14. I've about 1700 miles or so on mine. Apart from bleeding the clutch once it has been great. It's a bloody missile, and the sound is epic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. They are indeed a missile. An experienced instructor (he's 62 and as fast as feck!) was following me round Almeria on his breathed on S1000RR, he followed me a couple of times up the long straight. He told me afterwards it was the fastest bike in the paddock bar none. Easily.
    Provided you get good drive it sails past everything. It feels like cheating.... :laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Hi Fella
    What did you set your static sag for track use - ive set mine to Front 30mm, Rear 10mm as that what i had on my panni 1199s and other track bikes.

Has anybody had MCT setup there suspension yet for track use - or is the bike still to new to get a decent setup for track use yet

Also i've noticed there is no ride height adjuster - like the old ducati/Mv's - i assume this is taken care of by the TC re-leaning excercise if you change tyre profile or gearing.. ??

17. Anyone tried the Norton V4 yet?

18. Ref the R1 - there are loads blowing their engines - usually conrods firing through the cases! it's supposedly down to a design fault with the oil ways after changing the oil. If you dont key it in by turning the engine it to pass it through the system it overheats around cylinder 1 (or something similar to that).

• WTF WTF x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information