1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aprilia Rs660 And Tuono 660

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Leesey, Aug 8, 2020.

1. 130kg is near impossible for a road legal bike....unless they are using very expensive materials, resulting in a high price and niche market.

2. Aprilia rs250 then with 350cc kit from Colin Skillicorn.
    Can get down to 125kg and a safe 85hp.

• Like Like x 2
  3. It makes sense for them to do it and go after people that want a bike that looks cool but are less bothered about the actual figures. Most of the +350cc bikes around seem to be in that er6 class.

4. Perhaps. I've looked closely at Mito's with YPVS 350's & 600cc singles, but a highly tuned Honda 500cc twin would possibly be better imo. Suzuki TL front end is a near straight swap and provides the brakes! I'm not committed to doing one yet, but...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Regarding price, you just need to look back at new bike prices about 10 years ago, when they seemed to jump up. 15 years ago, a new R1 was around £9,800 and that was one of the most expensive Japanese superbikes back then. You're now paying old exotic bike prices for base model Japanese superbikes. I bought a 2004 R1 in 2005 and if I remember correctly I paid around £7,700, whereas now you can pay around £10,000 for a 6+ year old Ducati.

I know the technology has moved on and we now have electronics on road bikes that you wouldn't have even dreamed of 15 years ago, but that aside, with the many years of production experience and surely more refined manufacturing processes, are bikes really worth twice the cost of 10-15 years ago.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. fun bike if you can shed some weight off it. Needs to be 140kg ish IMHO (without fuel). Otherwise 765 etc will be more fun

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. KTM are selling one thats 140kg and 240hp if you can make that work ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. The cbr650r costs 7729, a couple of grand extra for this seems about right.

9. The first big price jump was when the Yen jumped in value against the pound in the 2008 crisis, I remember R1's suddenly were £2500 more expensive over night basically. Then since then the manufacturers seemed to have got into this cycle of yearly price rises, Ducati are really bad for it, each model goes up about £200 a year, MV seems to have put £500-750 on the price of theirs in the last two years, which is cheaky seeing as they aren't even selling them.

Ultimately, in 2007 I bought a ZX6R brand new on 0% for £5750, whether I like to admit it I'm not riding bikes on the road any quicker now than I was then, maybe slower. Having just spent £15k on the Panigale, which I wouldn't have dreamt of a few years back, I can honestly say in terms of it's functional capability, it's no quicker on the road than my 899 was, which I can buy for £8k now. So really I think that's where the sports bikes are falling off, perhaps with enduro and softroaders people are justifying them by taking the missus on the back etc to try and make more of an expensive product.

I'm hopeful this will stay sub £10k. The rear shock for example looks very budget, so they need to keep a check on the prices.

• Like Like x 3
  10. #30 alexko, Aug 12, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  11. I think my bank manager is away on holiday at present, but thanks for the heads up!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Good point - assuming the CBR is not over priced for what it is...

13. If we look at an mt-07 as the benchmark for middleweight machine pricing the Cbr seems like a bargain to me.
    My biggest gripe with the Aprilia is that It's a parallel twin rather than a V. To be fair it's a long time since I've ridden a parallel twin but they just summon memories of riding school er5's, hopefully this will be unfounded.

14. From what I have read the new ones are a massive step forwards, but often require two balance shafts. The KTM has set the benchmark really with the 790 (which is what I think this should probably have been) but it had to run a balance shaft on the crank and one on the exhaust cam I believe to keep things rosy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. People say this about bikes. Yes they are more expensive than they used to be but the house my parents in is has jumped from £72k to £260k in 20 years nearly 4 times the price and it’s not had a lot done to it and it’s in Nottingham.
    The price of a large bag of chips has gone from 90p up to £3.30 for less chips in less time which again is over 3 times more so in terms like that you could say it’s not bad....... but then again the average wage is also technically more. If you want a cheaper bike get an older one if you are willing to spend the money in today’s terms not in the terms of 13 years ago then it seems ok to me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. All true though the simple fact is that many new -if not most- bikes are not owned anymore, they are rented (PCP). In order to justify the monthly rental cost, the purchase price has to be high. If all these bikes were percieved to be as valuable as the are made out, why is the depreciation so massive? (of course there are a few exceptions).

17. I'm not disagreeing but I think you need to find a different chip shop.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Bikes are cheap. Ffs a fiesta will cost you 20 grand!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Funnily enough the base model fiesta tracks the smaller sports Ducati quite well in price, back in 2008 you could pick up an 848 or a Fiesta for around 9k. A 2020 fiesta and a V2 now both cost about 15k.
    The 08 fiesta would definitely have depreciated more in that time.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Perhaps if you bought it. But most will be rented (PCP/ Lease), and the high rent can only be justified by the high value of the car...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information