1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ardennes 2019

Discussion in 'Touring' started by bradders, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Worth noting that the XR I tried today felt way faster than the R after I'd had it serviced!

2. I expect that they will offer you a new engine, not your money back.
    There were some issues reported with cam case-hardening in early bikes leding to rapid adverse cam wear and valve failures. Failures happened pretty quickly so if your bike got to a couple of thousand miles or so without issue then it would be fine. Did you get any prior warning that it was about to grenade? In the cases I read about a new engine was supplied under warranty. Don’t go near accepting any form of repair; when stuff like this happens there’s no knowing where shards of metal have got to.

3. I won't be accepting repair, and TBF its unlikely they would anyway: the techies these days are just that and not engine builders.

Was noisy anyway, as mentioned at service, like the cam chain was about to pick up its next adjustment hook.

Worst case new engine and whatever else, then trade bike in for something else
    Best case, get money back and buy something else

Its just the £2k in between those things thats the argument...!

4. Just got another XR myself :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wasn't a fan TBH.

6. Why's that? Is it very different to the R?

7. Just as vibey, just as hard work! You can't just sit at 90 and relax. It simply won't allow it. The GS however was easy.

The XR suspension worked tho, where the R doesn't!

And it was a whole new level of tall

8. Surprised but then again I never liked the dvt multi either so we're all different.

Just wanted to pick one up for a big trip we've planned this year, couldn't be arsed to do it on the superduke due to the days and days of long mileage, also I've taken the xr round the nurburgring before and I honestly couldn't of wanted for more at the speed I was doing

9. What setting did you have the DDC of the R on? I've been using it on Hard recently, and love the stiffness of it.

On the S1000R forum, they suggest it is very dependant on weight though. I'm 70kg ish.

10. It isnt adjustable. So its either dynamic or not. No graduation of firmness. Best you cab do is set sag (which I hadn't yet). One off its biggest failings.

11. Soft, normal and hard? We are talking about the same thing, the suspension settings to stiffen up (or soften) the ride?

Maybe it's changed on the later bike.

12. changed on later bike. The GS has something like that tho. The R has no 'manual' adjustment: factory only. You can set rider sag, which `SimmyT says makes a huge difference but never got that far

13. Personally I feel in cases like this it’s not that the bike itself has gone bang but the way you are treated.
    Shit does happen , but being treated poorly afterwards is not on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Bit late to the party on this one, sorry to hear of your troubles Paul and I hope you get a satisfactory outcome , looks like BMW are looking after you so far. Totally agree with you that the r's suspension is terrible from the factory, well for the larger rider anyway, I am not the type to mess around with suspension to much but I have achieved satisfactory results with a combination of suspension settings and tyre pressure changes. @Pavey the latest gen r 2017 onwards had a few changes one of them being changing the suspension settings to a very limited number of settings compared to previous models. I wanted a xr for the day when mine was in for a service but the dealer told me to wait for the new model that is due out this year so I would steer clear of that model as a new one is being released in 2019. You would like to think if you stop with the BMW range they will look after you, changing to another brand may prove to be little more expensive, best of luck with it all :upyeah:

15. I was told 2020 likely release date for the new xr, if that quick.

Obviously rr hasn't got into customers hands yet and the engine will be derived from that so a 2019 launch is optimistic, perhaps a spy shot or two by November ready for eicma and then maybe a March 2020 release, but I still think that's pushing it

16. I have not done any research into the new xr, only going on dealer info, must admit its a itch that needs scratching, had my 2013 multi from new and its been a joy to own but maybe time to change.

17. Putting the fact that it's a L4 aside for a moment, the Xr is for my money as near to the original 1200 multi you can get, perhaps more so in the speed department. Far more sporty and agile than the dvt that's for sure and that's what I thought was lost on the dvt incarnation coming from a 2012 S multi

Pre 2017 xr models apparently suffered with vibration, but not my previous 2015 (maybe I don't think about it), but that doesn't mean some people won't find fault. Apparently the newer ones suffer less so, again the 2018 plate HP version I just picked up (very well priced may I add) doesn't seem to bother me either.

They're tall, blisteringly fast, handle comically well (yes you'll laugh out loud when you rail round the corners) and the tech just works. QS and blipper are both silk smooth.

They are not pretty bikes, but then again I don't think I know of a 'sport tourer' that is.

You can make them more racey though, tinted shorter screen and akra headers and new end can sort that out nicely

• Like Like x 2
  18. Agree with the dvt onward multi losing its way, never felt the need to change my 13 twin spark pp for any of the newer versions, when the time comes the xr is top of the try list.

19. Get a long test ride. Sure the XR is fun and lots of power, but it’s not relaxed at all. Dribbling along at 80, not using brakes, just enjoying a bit of countryside it didn’t like!

20. Thanks mate, i never knew that. Wonder why they changed it - i think the suspension on my 2015 bike is nigh on perfect?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information