1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are New Ducati’s Still Objects Of Desire

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Italianstallion, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Thank god for the mainstream public not “in the know”. They think my 900SSie is a gorgeous, very fast, exotic bike. What would I do without them?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. To me Ducati’s are objects of desire, but do I think they have that same individuality that they had in the past? I don’t think they do - when you compare the models of the past to their peers they had something that their peers didn’t. The singles were individual with high performance for their era, the bevels looked and went like nothing else, the belts and the four valves again. Compare an SP3 say, to any other contemporary? With that, they had reliability problems but made you feel special.

Modern Ducati’s do look great to me, but I don’t get that hunger that I did in the past, however, my biking career spans over 40 years so I’m probably turning into an old fart.

3. I love the older bikes give me an SS any day mine attracted lots of attention

If I bought another duke it would be the scrambler as it looks old school
    The diavel would be second

The world of motoring will become monochrome and silent just like the kids of today

Don’t forget they don’t want old people buying bikes :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I have noticed working in the petrol station that most cars are black/grey/silver/white :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. When you had yours it was a newer bike silly o_O didn't you here what they were saying: 'oh look, one of them new Ducati's' :yum

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Hear

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. It was spelt differently back then before dictionaries silly :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. What's
    Karping? :thinkingface:

9. Hi Ducbird, at least cars are not brown as they were in the 70’s !:), I have a 900ss and a Scrambler and love them both, I rode a 1299 last year and although I loved it’s looks I found it just too much for the road, the slightest throttle opening leading to illegal speeds it felt like a chore having to constantly keep the bike in check, obviously I’m old and if I was in my 20’s I might have a different opinion but I was left thinking that it would be amazing on a track but was just too brutal for road use.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Whilst I still think the 916 to 998, the original Monster and the Sport Classics are my all time greats.....I think the majority of the current range are still exotic and desirable.

Up’t North they’re still relatively rare and even my Multistrada draws admiration at the lights/petrol station.

In short, I think Ducati still has its mojo.

11. not so much ugly, theres just not enough to look at with a modern machine.i can look at these for hours.
    upload_2018-9-8_9-12-32.jpeg

upload_2018-9-7_21-26-56.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I disagree. They're just better made now. And there are more rules regarding safety and emissions and stuff that limit design .

13. I disagree. They're just better made now. And there are more rules regarding safety and emissions and stuff that limit design .

14. Exotica to me means going to Phuket and watching some bird ping darts at a dart board from her flower. :neutral:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Old people are the only ones who know how to ride bikes cos the modern generation of Millenials and lazy generation z er’s Are to scared to try anything except posting a risqué photo:D of themselves on instagram to receive 10 million likes.
    Bikes are to loud and noisy for them lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Fishing ennit? Lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. You can't have it both ways. Sales drive investment and progress and if people still want Ducati to be a niche manufacturer that only a few in the know buy, they'd be going the way of Benelli, MV Agusta and Bimota.

Since the success of the 916 & Monster, Ducati's fortunes took off with money to spend. The sales disaster of the 999 had a huge impact, but smart decisions to take all of their eggs out of the sports bike basket with bikes like the Multistrada and Monster have helped the company to grow and develop the sports machines most on here love. If you wanted a Ducati in 1989, you could buy an 851 or a Paso, and that was it. Now you can buy a Multi, Monster, Diavel, Superbike, Supersport, Scrambler and many variations and specifications of each. Bikes like the Scrambler are a smart move. Cheap to produce and buy, they enable people to get into the brand without breaking the bank and over the years they are more likely to become serial buyers, moving up the food chain.

A Ducati is still a bike of desire in my eyes. The fact that they are a very common sight at any bike meet doesn't really factor into it for me. Whichever one I'm on, I get looks on the road and comments when parked up.

That being said. The V4 is horrid. :blush:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Which one? The old one or the new?

19. Your young aren’t you 23 or something like that :)

20. 30.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information