1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are New Ducati’s Still Objects Of Desire

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Italianstallion, Sep 7, 2018.

1. You scamp. :) The one that is designated V4, saying it on the fairing. :innocent:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. 999 sales disaster :thinkingface: there's an awful lot of them around :thinkingface: and the launch year they outsold the 916 launch year :thinkingface: yes other bikes came along later in the bikes life that added competition but hardly a sales disaster :thinkingface:

:yum

• Love You Love You x 1
  3. I rest my case all these new bikes are aimed at you youngies

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Agree 100% Ducati's up to 848 1098 1198 were special 749/999 aside in my opinion, and I'm talking about sportsbikes

• Like Like x 2
  5. It varies, fugley from this week, is spending a couple of weeks with a buddy as he wants to buy her, I have no doubt he will buy her.

Will I buy another ducati? Unlikely. After wasting small car types of money on brand new bikes in the past, I now set myself a £2,500 limit for a motorcycle and have had great fun on the bikes this has bought me. Were I to stretch it to £5k then possibly a 999 but beyond that, not much ducati wise grabs me

Ducati with all it's failings and positives is very much "an experience" motorcycle rather than it does what it says on the tin and given they seem to have learned nothing from releasing new bikes that need recalls sometimes before the dealer has even handed over the keys to the customer, I don't see ducati as a brand that is a must have. Individual bikes maybe

6. Perhaps they give you looks cos your flies are undone lol.
    And them v4 mirrors are like the ones geriatrics put on their Dacia dusters to go caravanning

7. I'm not saying I think a modern alfa is as pretty as a classic. But I can understand the limitations they have to work with. And they still are special. I think the panigales are gorgeous and feel and sound different to a japanese IL4 alternative.

8. Ah, I see what you did there. :)

The launch year of the 916 was coming off the back of the low selling 888 and didn't they have supply and demand issues. The launch year of the 999 was coming off the success of the 916 / 996. Look how people are clamouring to but the V4 now after the Pani and you don't agree with them.

The 999 was so unloved back in the day that even though the 1098 is a 1099 cc, they removed the "9" from the end of the designation to distance the bike from it's predecessor. It's all well written about, but I forgot you don't read. :laughing:

Anyhoo Hexie. I like the 999 and would still like one (even with that swing arm and ironing board stance :innocent:) and nobody can doubt its racing success. :) :upyeah:

[​IMG]

9. I never fasten my flies, I like the feeling of the wind in the only hair I have left. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Nutter - that's just sales of the 2003 999 from the end of 2002! They still sold the 998 in 2003 as well - sales were mahoosive.
    ps: don't show evidence that loses you the argument - how many times have I telt you!!! :thinkingface:…...:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. When I go in to my garage and look at my 998, 848 with no engine in it or my f4 I still get that feeling like I did when I was a boy thumbing through the ladies underwear section in the great mills catalogue. amazing!! Lol
    The new crop just don't give me that lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Those figures are the 1st year sales figures for easch model, you're now arguing against your own argument. :rolleyes: They always sell an outgoing model alongside a new model, behave yourself. :eyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Wrong - and the 998 was available for the full 2003 season alongside the 999 (imagine if they had done that with the V2 and V4 Pani - how disastrous the V4 launch would have been then (with a side by side choice of Italian or Chinese) :eyes:

14. Que? :eyes:

15. :eyes:

16. :eyes:

17. :eyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. upload_2018-9-8_14-45-13.png

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. I tend to agree, but I think that has more to do with psychology, linked to our ages and memories from youth. The latest neuroscience shows that memories in general, and 80% of the brain’s functions, utilise what they call “emotional thought.” That is, the emotional centre of the brain is engaged. All learning, and all decision making, require the emotional brain to function properly.

To illustrate, when I was in my early 20s the 916 came out and stunned the world. I drooled at its beauty above all else, but paired with its performance and race results it was the stuff of dreams. Those memories hold powerful sway over me, in a way that no new bike launch could... no matter how good. At that time, I was young, impressionable, new to the race scene and loving every moment of a race at Brands or whatever...

Speaking personally, another factor perhaps is the danger element. Let’s be honest, risk has its attractions. The conquering of a bike, mastery of your riding craft, all require us to push ourselves. The sense of achievement at riding a bike quickly on a track, without the help of traction or braking aids, is enormous. New bikes rob us of that sense of achievement, and frankly their ability is so far beyond the capability of 99.9% of riders to exploit.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. To me,no Ducati since my 998 has been beautiful,my 1299 is awesome but without the badge could be any other brand.

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information