1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aussie Road Trip

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by bradders, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Mrs B and I seem to have landed on the idea of 14 or so days in a camper driving around Aus after the PI TD. So other than must start at Melbourne we’re easy.

Any tips - East or west? Head towards Perth or up the coast to Sydney? Must sees on the way? Anyone done something similar and like to share?

We want a bit of culture, wonders of the world stuff, wildlife, sea...tips welcome :upyeah:

2. 14 days? You’ll not get out of Victoria. IT IS that big.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Yeah we have to be realistic. One I found online suggested a 14 road trip drive to Perth...4500kms wasn’t my idea of taking my time tbh lol. We like the idea of possibly 4 days on the road, stop for a couple, then same again. Think Brisbane would be doiable like that

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I may not have an 140 IQ but I’m not stupid and can scale against a map : unamused:

Plus google mapping is good for judging time and distance. 19hrs to Brisbane via Sydney

#5 bradders, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  5. We went 20 years ago for a month. We stayed with relatives on the Mornington peninsula, south of Melbourne.

I had huge plans of going to the barrier reef, Uluru etc etc. We didn’t get out of Victoria because there’s a lot to do and see there. We did get to Philip island though and saw the penguin parade. :)

I’d recommend going to Ballarat too :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. We have driven Brisbane to Melbourne and down past Philip Island to the Apostles, think it’s called the Great Ocean drive. Just drove and pulled in at hotels etc when got tired.

• Like Like x 2
  7. I used to drive between Sydney and Melbourne, not a bad drive tbf. Mt Bulla could be a good place or head up towards NSW ski areas, perisher is nice to visit in summer, Blue mountains if you head towards Sydney

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yeah stopped around a rain forest, but think that was between Brisbane and Sydney.

9. Anyone know if you can just pull up and stop overnight in Aus? (It’s not legal everywhere)

10. I like the appeal of driving across the country but I think it’s a lot of nothing but outback. But there must be some natural wonders to take in on the way as of course some small towns.

11. So you using a camper van? Cant help with the law but I did see lots of campers parked up. They do I believe take it serious when carrying fresh food products and you can’t carry it across different territory’s. Oh and try not to drive at night, a big rabbits hop out in front of cars and you will get wrecked.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wombats and Kangaroos make a real mess of your vehicle if you hit one

13. Yep more motorhome than camper...we will be nearly 50 ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Driven from Perth around Southwest then across Nullarbor, Adelaide, Melbourne and onto Sydney, many years ago. More recently, Sydney all the way up to Port Douglas; the best place for Great Barrier Reef diving but I hear it's dying off fast with bleaching.
    So, in my opinion I'd suggest that you arrive in Melbourne and tour round to Sydney (about 7 days) then return the RV and fly up to Brisbane for a couple of days and then fly up to Cairns, hire a car and stay in Port Douglas for 3 days or so. Should be a great trip!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Oh was in Adelaide and Melbourne in 2016, I always find it a little expensive so be prepared to spend more than your budget. If your Philip Island direction make sure you go see the penguins, I didn’t and the wife always reminds me. It was expensive and I was broke lol.

• Like Like x 1
  16. We have 4 nights on PI, but I may be otherwise engaged... lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Do the gold coast just out Brisbane great fun. Plus blue mountains are amazing in Sydney.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Give kings cross ago for a night mate it's bonkers!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information